You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-04 15:24:06

heliumtt

RDP without VNC between Windows and Linux

Hello,

Needing to access a Linux laptop from Windows (in a nutshell, broke the keyboard) in graphic mode, I looked into VNC.

TigerVNC does work great for the connection etc.
But the performance is not that good. I am on a Wireless LAN, so perhaps it is more the laptop performance in encrypting the image than the system itself.

So I looked into RDP. The documentation claims that it sends direct objects and not a video feed like VNC does.
It is a bit an X forwarding for a full graphical desktop (don't be mad of the comparison !).

However, my understanding digging into all i could find on the internet, is that RDP between different environments manages the connection.
But that it actually sets ups a VNC session then. There is x11rdp but without X on Windows...
I cannot install X on the windows laptop to have X forwarding.

Is there any way to have Linux emit RDP "graphic commands" and not just a video feed via VNC ?

Or did I completely missed the point ?
I found contradictory information so not sure I got exactly what RDP on linux encompasses.

What about accessing a Wayland session ?
Any working system apart from a concept of VNC on wayland (as announced) ?

Thanks in advance !
Bye

#2 2017-01-04 19:29:28

Slithery
Administrator

Re: RDP without VNC between Windows and Linux

heliumtt wrote:

I cannot install X on the windows laptop to have X forwarding.

Why not?

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-01-04 23:05:38

heliumtt

Re: RDP without VNC between Windows and Linux

Well, I know it is possible to install (and did so on other machines with good results) but can't on that one.

But Windows provides an RDP client so I can use that with good performance if RDP is not just the connection setup with an underlying VNC.

Or does RDP always fallback to VNC "video feed" type ?

Thanks in advance !

Board footer