You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-06 15:57:59

Resero

WiFi driver conflicts across distros (?) Cannot connect on Arch.

Hi from Patagonia, my first post here, I was posting on Newbie corner this, but bring it here.

Resume: I Have a Laptop with Arch and Mint, I believe the modules/drivers are in some kind of conflict.

Backgrond: In this machine I've installed several distros, always a distro testing partition and a cornerstone backup with some old Mint (large texlive/emacs installed and configured), this holiday project was install Arch for first time.
Steps taken:
1- I managed to install Arch, including my favorite Xfce, in the process I created a script to connect wireless (from here and there, mostly https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant):
Content of wifi.sh:

ip link set wlp6s0 up
wpa_supplicant -D nl80211,wext -i wlp6s0 -c <(wpa_passphrase "Sunspearm" "greenblood") -B
dhcpcd wlp6s0

Note: Worked perfect (as root) and I'm interested in other ways to do it. Yes that's my pass, welcomed to use it.

2-  I couldn't get bootloader right (not seeing the old Mint) and several boots later I blew the old Linux Mint and decided to give it a try to the brand new Mint 18.1. Installed it and the Mint bootloader auto config was perfect (Mint 18.1 and Arch boot Ok from grub menu)

Nothing new, I've done this hundred times. Now the weird begins

3- On Linux Mint 18.1, the interfaces appeared as in Arch. They always where wlan0 and eth0 now apear as wlp6s0 and enp3s0 . Just weird (maybe they just changed the standard naming?) all working Ok on Mint so far.

javier@javier-acer ~ $ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

wlp6s0    IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Sunspear"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 7C:BF:B1:AA:DC:DC   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=17 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=43/70  Signal level=-67 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:65   Missed beacon:0

enp3s0    no wireless extensions.

4- Installed some tools on Mint for my other holiday project (aircrack-ng, crunch, etc). Setting as usual (injection working, monitor mode ok) and working ok.

5- I decided to give it a try to pentesting on Arch, then: booting Arch, and run my wifi.sh script from above, now is not working! Something about wpa_supplicant in Line 2 syntactic error near `('. I've noted a missing - before the D option and corrected it, still same error message.

Now I can't connect on Arch writing from Mint.

Note: The /home are in different partitions.

EDITED: This script works fine in Arch if it's executed as Root. Solution?

Last edited by Resero (2017-01-06 17:12:19)

Board footer