You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-27 21:24:36

Isengrin

netctl hangs when using ExecUpPost at boot

Hello~

I've been having this problem for months, if not years, but I always postponed asking for help.

The thing is, if I try to start a service through ExecUpPost per the wiki's intructions, the system hangs indefinitely at boot (once I left it there for one and a half hours and nothing happened). The lines in question are

ExecUpPost="systemctl start openntpd.service; systemctl start sshd.service; systemctl start cronie.service"
ExecDownPre="systemctl stop openntpd.service; systemctl stop sshd.service; systemctl stop cronie.service"

The message I get is

A start job is running for A basic static ethernet connection

and it stays there forever.

I have tried placing these lines in /etc/netctl/hooks, /etc/netctl/interfaces, and the profile itself. Same result. It happens in both my desktop (which uses a static ip ethernet connection), and my laptop (wireless, dhcp). In all these cases, though, they work perfectly if I start the profile manually with netctl start instead of at boot with netctl enable

So, is there something I'm missing? Did I misunderstand the purpose of these options? Maybe you can suggest an alternate way of starting services after establishing a connection?

Thanks in advance.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#2 2017-01-27 22:17:31

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: netctl hangs when using ExecUpPost at boot

Can't answer the question but not sure why you're doing that... systemd does the prioritization by itself AFAIK.  Just enable sshd, cronie, foo and you're done.

EDIT: Also not sure why you're using netctl at all... systemd-networkd is bullet proof for quite some time now.

Last edited by graysky (2017-01-27 22:17:59)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2017-01-27 22:36:55

Isengrin

graysky wrote:

Can't answer the question but not sure why you're doing that... systemd does the prioritization by itself AFAIK.  Just enable sshd, cronie, foo and you're done.

That's good to know. Since the wiki has that section I linked, I assumed it was a necessity.

graysky wrote:

EDIT: Also not sure why you're using netctl at all... systemd-networkd is bullet proof for quite some time now.

Because I didn't even know about it. :P I used to use Network Manager, but switched to netctl because it seemed simpler, lighter and apparently is the default. But I'll try it, thanks!

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#4 2017-01-27 23:21:45

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

If anything, sdnd is the default... definitely lightweight.  See the wiki on it.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer