You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-15 11:42:35

barbaros
Website

netevent+netcat for sharing keyboard

Hello,
Has anybody been successuful in using netevent together with netcat ?
I am trying to share the keyboard between two laptops (forget the mouse for now) and I can't get it right.
I have two laptops, let's call them L2 and L3. Both have archlinux freshly installed. L3 works on 32 bits, L2 on 64, but I guess this doesn't make any difference. They are connected through a wireless ad-hoc network. ping works fine in both directions, also gnu-netcat. I am able to send a file for example : I choose some arbitrary port number, then netcat -t 192.168.1.3 1955 < file.txt on L2 and netcat -t -l -p 1955 > file.txt on L3.
The combination with netevent works to a certain extent. For instance, I give a command like netevent -read /dev/input/event0 | netcat -t 192.168.1.3 1955 on L2 and I listen on L3 with netcat -t -l -p 1955. Then I press some key on L2's keyboard and I see scancodes (or keycodes?) appearing on L3's screen. But I can't get the final step right. I don't really understand how netevent works, what is the difference between using a toggler or setting a hotkey - should I do both ?
I would very much like to hear from your experience.
Thanks a lot
Cristian Barbarosie

Board footer