You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-17 12:53:03

phnom

Automatic routing of network interfaces

Hi,

TL;DR; How do I configure Linux network routing to act like Windows network routing?

I have a new work laptop with an arch installation and some VMs for windows stuff. At work I switch networks often and are connected via both the wired (to connect to PLCs, robots and other peripherals. A lot of different subnets.) and the wireless and/or 3G modem (mostly for internet access, but not always.). I have noticed that whenever I use the wired ethernet I lose the internet connection.
I assume it's still there, but the web browser doesn't seem to think so, my assumption is that everything is routed via the wired instead. Are there any configuration files I can poke around in to make the routing behave nicely and automagical?

I just want to be able to use all interfaces simultaneously, preferably without having to do anything but plug the stuff in and maybe change the IP-address of an interface.

#2 2017-03-17 15:46:18

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Automatic routing of network interfaces

How are you configuring you networks?

It can be done but we need to know what you are using for managing the network under Arch.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-03-19 08:55:24

phnom

Currently using network manager, but I am open to changing that if I need to.

#4 2017-03-19 09:28:47

brebs

phnom wrote:

I have noticed that whenever I use the wired ethernet I lose the internet connection

More detail required. It's standard for networking to (attempt to) choose the fastest path - see also metric term.

Sounds like your routing table needs adjustment. "ip route" will show useful debugging info.

#5 2017-03-19 12:04:20

phnom

Yeah, I guessed as much. I will post an example table as soon as I get back to work and the problem appears.

#6 2017-03-19 21:52:03

rsmarples

dhcpcd can do this as well as network manager and is included in the base system.
dhcpcd-ui in AUR provides a system tray icon for GTK+ and Qt frameworks.

Board footer