You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-30 23:59:17

jedcooper

Help setup mobile proxy UMTS/LTE

Hi everyone Archlinuxers!

As I move to a new internet provider - but as always it can take a loong time being "offline" between cancel the old and get started the new -
I consider to setup a compressed proxy connection as I own a root server who could serve for that on the internet.

My first schematic idea is:

Simple:

Client -> Proxy (Cache) -> Internet limited low bandwidth -> Server -> Proxy (Conversion to low bandwidth) -> Internet unlimited high bandwidth

Detail:

Client -> (Router) -> (Proxysetup on Fileserver) -> Router -> UMTS/LTE volume limit 20 GB for ~5-20 mbit / fallback to max. 384 kbit -> Internet low bandwidth -> Server -> Proxy Squid/Polipo -> Proxy Ziproxy -> Proxy Privoxy -> Internet high bandwidth

Connection Client -> Server via:

- VPN?
- Proxy w/ Auth?

Clients are Windows and Linux Workstations,
Fileserver is Archlinux,
root Server is - unfortunately as yet - Ubuntu Server ^^ but might be changed to arch soon
and I think it can be very well limited to talk about the whole project (meta) and configuration (files) only?!

Anyone running similar "ootb" solutions with minimal configuration?
Are there "free" solutions ready to use on the internet?
Opinions?
Security and optimization advises?

My problem is to setup the mitm stuff with SSL(-Termination), as I also want to process, downsize and maybe cache the growing and already huge ratio of "https" websites.
I cannot describe it in-depth,yet, as I didn't make progress to setup the _whole_ thing to work yet well together. And I'll fail at the whole SSL stuff by now.
WIP: Still testing with ziproxy, it does not send the right MIME types as it seems. So I got lots of broken images, only downloadable as PNG but opens as JP2. Example configurations welcome, the ones on its homepage aren't coherent for me.

Well that's kinda Meta discussion or request first, but I want to understand it like that (at first). With all its pros and cons.

Regards
jc

Last edited by jedcooper (2017-03-31 00:08:16)

Board footer