You are not logged in.

#451 2017-04-10 15:14:58

olegabrielz

Re: something that you feel linux is missing

lahwaacz wrote:

No, the Wikipedia's definition does not make it any clearer to me.

Sorry, you're absolutely right. That definition does not correctly reflect what I was aiming for. Thanks for pointing it out. My newbie skills shines well to day (like many other days). I was thinking more in the direction of 'end-of-the-chain' in the user market (if that does reflect it better? This is not my native language). Not so much sysops, system administrators, database administrators, information technology experts, software professionals and computer technicians. Or others that possess technical understanding or skill of the product designers. Many of these guys have already lots of linux experience. I was thinking more about the average guy/girl, the consumer or worker who uses computers more or less for daily work and recreation. Linux does only have a tiny bit of that market. And I am just one of those guys, wishing there was a few more.

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#452 2017-04-10 15:43:05

ghus
Banned

About what is being said , was this a joke ?
Linus Torvalds awarded Arch Linux as the most consumer friendly distribution - Linux Veda
.... Despite the verdict can be easily right .

Arch Linux has won the Free Software Award for the Most Consumer Friendly Linux Distribution. Aaron Griffin received the award from Richard M. Stallman and Linus Torvalds at the LibrePlanet conference at the University of Massachusetts, Boston.

“The purpose of a GNU distribution is to make it easy for users to use their system. It’s a stupid idea to force your users to compile everything from scratch,” said Linus Torvalds at the event.

( I can't find the "complete story " )

Last edited by ghus (2017-04-10 15:45:43)

#453 2017-04-10 16:15:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The date on the original/complete story was April 1.  Those comments were followed by Torvalds being quoted as complaining about the need to compile everything from scratch in Ubuntu and Stallman's suggestion that more distros should support DRM.  Obviously all completely true claims.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#454 2017-04-10 16:39:30

parchd

Trilby wrote:

The date on the original/complete story was April 1.

Was it? From what I got from the linked thread, it was obviously a joke, but it the URL for the linked article suggested it was published in February.

#455 2017-04-10 16:51:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It was republished all over for quite a while.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#456 2017-04-10 17:13:42

olegabrielz

First reference I could find was from april fools day 2012:
http://akuganteng666.blogspot.no/2012/0 … ux-as.html

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#457 2017-04-12 21:45:41

GSF1200S

Trilby wrote:

I agree that linux having a now not-entirely-trivial market share has driven improvement in linux (e.g. driver support).  A larger portion of hardware manufacturers and big software projects are no longer so able to completely ignore linux (some still do, but it's much less common).  This is good.

However, I think there may be an optimal range of market share for such benefits.  If the market share of linux dropped drastically, manufacturers and service providers would go back to ignoring it completely which would not be good.  However, on the other side, if linux gains to much in market share, the same players could try to find ways to "capitalize" on linux.  I suspect a majority of the results of this motivation would be bad for linux users.

When linux is a nusiance that they must live with, we benefit.  If linux becomes a resource for them to exploit, we suffer.

While the above is mostly semi-philosophical, I can offer a concrete example in support of my worry.  My workplace requires a suite of "tools" to be installed on every computer in the workplace.  The least-bad part of these "tools" is the horrible resource drain they are running constantly in the background.  The more-bad parts are the data they collect: passwords, activity history, key logs, etc and data is sent to a central repository.  If you shut down the software, but try to remain on the network IT knows about it and you get locked out (or worse).  Every computer must have this software.  That is every computer except linux, as this garbage will not run in linux.

IT provides absolutely zero support for linux - which is fine, I wouldn't want their help anyways*.  But they also provide zero interference with linux systems.  They aren't competant enough to port their crap to a linux system and at the moment the market share is small enough that they are content to ignore us few linux users.  If 30% of the people in the workplace were using linux, they'd find a way to mess with support us as well as the do the Windows users.

* Note, very very few people on our IT staff have any computer science background.  They intentionally hire computer illiterate people with very good people skills.  They give them some training on using this system-management-malware suite in Windows and that is the extent of the technical training of many of our IT staff.

Yeah I agree with this post pretty much 100%. I really think society should more readily value open-source code due to it lending anyone the capacity to verify intent of the code; closed code gives power to tyrants of all stripes, and open code is the solution.

I think I would agree with who you responded to with the further note that I would like to see Linux have a much larger share of market share so long as Linux users demand open-code with that rise in popularity. As your situation makes obvious though, a vast increase in popularity still has its problems.

Given that people wont collectively demand open-code (many dont even know what it is), I'm happy with where Linux is today. If it stays where it is with market share, it'll be a good balance between popularity and obscurity for those who use it...

#458 2017-04-12 22:04:17

Awebb

Trilby wrote:

To be fair, the topic of the thread is something that linux is missing, not "something that you would personally benefit from", nor not even "something you wish linux had."

I agree. Then again, just because something isn't there doesn't mean it's missing.

#459 2017-04-15 11:03:20

Stewart Little

The one thing which I would like on Linux is World of Warcraft, Starcraft II and Diablo on Linux - I seriously hope Blizzard will decide in the future to make its games available for the Linux platform.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#460 2017-04-15 18:51:52

svnset

Stewart Little wrote:

The one thing which I would like on Linux is World of Warcraft, Starcraft II and Diablo on Linux - I seriously hope Blizzard will decide in the future to make its games available for the Linux platform.

I don't want to take your hope, but a couple of years ago I worked in Dublin (game-tester) and one of our clients was Blizzard (Activision). When I learned one thing from the unfriendly blizzards team, that what they once were (the studio who made some of the best titles of game history with love in detail and where the content actually mattered) is no more. All they now care for is profit, so they will only come to linux if other big companies go first. (Btw it was Diablo 3 for console I partially worked on and it was a Disaster, as a very big fan of Diablo2 I lost all hope in blizzard back in these days...)

Edit: Typo

Last edited by svnset (2017-04-15 18:53:45)

After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes,
it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. - Chopin

Board footer