You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-12 13:33:38

gaelic

VPN & internal network connections

Hi archcommunity,

I'm quite new to this topic, but for security and privacy reasons I want to use a vpn on my PC at home.

But now I'm starting to think how to accomplish the following:

- I've got a Router which is at the same time the Gateway to the internet and the switch for the internal network
- I've got a Synology server for my backups and files
- I've got a PC with arch

-> the PC should stay in connection with the Synology station (CIFS mount) via the internal network
-> all external requests should not go directly via the Router, but via the VPN "device"

Is there any howto for this kind of setup? Maybe I'm missing some keywork as I didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2017-04-12 14:31:01

ewaller
Administrator

Re: VPN & internal network connections

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-04-12 14:58:08

gaelic

Can you please point me to the right section I need for my kind of configuration.

#4 2017-04-12 15:25:02

ewaller
Administrator

No, because it is not clear exactly what you are trying to do. But you might try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Op … figuration

I assume you want the VPN to live on your arch box, and that that arch box is part of the LAN behind your router.   You are going to connect to that server from some unidentified computer from outside your LAN at which point that machine will essentially be part of your LAN.
To allow the machine from outside the LAN to access your OpenVPN server on your Arch Box, you will need to enable port forwarding on your router for the OpenVPN ports to your Arch box.   You will also need to set up an OpenVPN client on the machine from which you are trying to connect.  The process is different for Android, iOS, Windows, and Linux.

In my opinion, the better solution would be to run the VPN on the router, but you explicitly stated you do not want to do that.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer