You are not logged in.

#26 2006-06-02 18:34:00

lumiwa

Re: Open source is getting more mainstream

sweiss wrote:

This is true. I'd really like to try and see how a corporate Linux looks like nowadays. My last experience was with RH9 which was pretty good, and with Mandrake 9.1 which was down right awful.

But I really don't feel like messing with a new distro, I like to feel home, like I do with Arch.

I was long time SuSE user and there are not much differencies compare with Arch. Okay you have gui settings tools but other not much. As I wrote before for my printer, I had same problem with SuSE too. last version was 10.0. I don't have wireless cartd but many Linux users  complain if thwey have "exotic" card but Windows users don't...
And BTW my firs and last version of Windows was 3.0.

#27 2006-06-02 22:29:41

ibrahim

I don't really see why some of you feel that it's a *must* to push people towards Arch. The about Arch page summarises Arch as a distro "targeted at competent linux users" and so if the creators of Arch intended it as somewhat of a niche product then I think it's ok for the rest of use to accept that it may not be the ideal choice for everyone.

#28 2006-06-02 22:38:05

kensai
Website

@ibrahim: Thanks, I second that I strongly agree, please don't give Arch Linux to everyone. They will just hate Linux. wink

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#29 2006-06-08 12:47:09

profoX
Website

Exactly. I gave him an Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop CD (it's a live cd + live installer)

Collecting data is only the first step toward wisdom.
But sharing data is the first step toward community.

#30 2006-06-12 00:41:50

kensai
Website

sweiss wrote:

As much as I enjoy using Linux, I'm not sure it's ready for everyday use. Kwin crashed on me today, for example, for no apparent reason. And I keep finding a lot of simple and obvious bugs.

[sarcasm]Yeah, I think that too, Banshee crashed the other day for me, ohh and I remember also my gnome-terminal slowing down a few nanoseconds too, yeah I can see it is not ready just yet we need to fix these 2 bugs.[/sarcasm]

OMG, if all people think like that the the software world is doomed. Have you never had Windows crash any single program? I have had lots of crashes even with Windows XP SP2 and all patches applied, so what you expect of a bleeding edge vanilla packages system like Arch Linux, please come on. roll

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

Board footer