You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-18 19:17:23

psoglav2000

[SOLVED] Networking Disabled?

I installed Arch yesterday, got Cinnamon up and running and everything looks fine. However, the NetworkManager Applet has a tooltip of "Networking Disabled" and a broken connection icon. I find that strange because I can surf the web, download packages, use wget, ftp, and use all other services. If I double click the icon, it states that NetworkManager is not running. I suppose I should be happy and this might be minor thing, but I'm OCD and it is bugging me. Any ideas on how to go about figuring what's wrong?

Last edited by psoglav2000 (2017-04-18 20:11:21)

#2 2017-04-18 19:27:25

shulamy

Re: [SOLVED] Networking Disabled?

i guess another network service is working.

ezik

#3 2017-04-18 19:28:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

psoglav2000 wrote:

Any ideas on how to go about figuring what's wrong?

Use this command to list all enabled systemd unit files:

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Remember to disable your current networking .service(s) before enabling NetworkManager.service et al.

#4 2017-04-18 19:41:58

psoglav2000

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
psoglav2000 wrote:

Any ideas on how to go about figuring what's wrong?

Use this command to list all enabled systemd unit files:

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled

Remember to disable your current networking .service(s) before enabling NetworkManager.service et al.

$ systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
UNIT FILE                                   STATE  
autovt@.service                             enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service  enabled
dhcpcd@.service                             enabled
display-manager.service                     enabled
gdm.service                                 enabled
getty@.service                              enabled
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service           enabled
NetworkManager.service                      enabled
remote-fs.target                            enabled

10 unit files listed.

So, do I need to disable dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service, dhcpcd@.service and NetworkManager-dispatcher.service first and then try NetworkManager.service? I'm a bit confused. Where did those other Network manager services come from and if I disable the dhcpcd service will I be able to get an IP address at all?

#5 2017-04-18 20:04:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

psoglav2000 wrote:

So, do I need to disable dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service, dhcpcd@.service and NetworkManager-dispatcher.service first and then try NetworkManager.service?

No, just disable dhcpcd@$interface.service

Where did those other Network manager services come from

No idea, sorry. Perhaps they were enabled as part of the Cinnamon installation. You *are* using Arch, right?

if I disable the dhcpcd service will I be able to get an IP address at all?

Yes, NetworkManager usually handles that just fine.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-04-18 20:06:49)

#6 2017-04-18 20:10:58

psoglav2000

Ok, it's solved. thanks. I disabled Network Manager (which disabled those other two) and DHCPCD. Still was able to ping, but rebooted and was not and lost my ip address according to ip link. Re-enabled Network Manager and rebooted, but no joy on ip address, so reenabled DHCPCD, rebooted and regained IP address and Network Manager and the applet work now too. Thank you. And yes, after several months of starts and fails, I finally did the steps in the right order and am using Arch Linux. Even installed Virtual Box and am using the virtual machines I made in Windows 10.

Last edited by psoglav2000 (2017-04-18 20:13:25)

#7 2017-04-19 06:43:58

phw

One thing to note is that NetworkManager determines if the connection is able to access the internet by regularly querying a server. This is configured at /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf and by default queries http://www.archlinux.org/check_network_status.txt . If for some reason this address is not reachable or the file downloaded does not contain the text "NetworkManager is online" it reports the connection as having no internet access. At the moment it looks like the file from archlinux.org is not available, likely due to the outage of the servers last week.

As a workaround you can configure your own file to check, I have placed a text file check_network_status.txt with the content "NetworkManager is online" on my own server, but you could also use the one from e.g. Fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt) or Gnome.org (http://nmcheck.gnome.org/check_network_status.txt). Create a file "/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf" with the following content and restart Network Manager:

[connectivity]
uri=http://nmcheck.gnome.org/check_network_status.txt

EDIT: You can also completely disable this check, see https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 1#p1704641

Last edited by phw (2017-04-19 06:45:58)

Board footer