You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-14 13:36:03

r0b0t

5Ghz Wireless keyboard / touchpad security [airodump-ng] analysis

Hi guys,
I hope this is the right section, I bought a new wireless keyboard/touchpad (Rapoo - chinese) which works at 5Ghz.
I was curious about the security (if any as on the webpage didn't read anything) so I started to play a bit with airodump-ng .
By starting in 5Ghz (--band a) I couldn't detect any connection at all between the keyboard and the receiver (which was a bit weird) but also by manually trying specific channels  (standard recommended ones and also non standard) I couldn't detect (again) any connection at all.

Thinking maybe it was my wireless card, I tried with my android phone by setting it only on 5Ghz but again nothing was detected which makes me think if they are using a "not defined channel/frequency" (you can't sniff them with airodump-ng, it gives you an error) or something and they think to make up for the lack of encryption with that?

On the documentation they promise no interference with other wireless devices.

your thoughts on this ?

thanks.

#2 2017-05-17 07:16:01

r0b0t

Re: 5Ghz Wireless keyboard / touchpad security [airodump-ng] analysis

So, official reply from their support they don't use encryption which isn't unexpected but yet that isn't explaining why isn't detected and what channel is using.

#3 2017-05-17 10:30:54

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Wireless and 5GHz doesn't automatically mean wifi, unless you can turn your wifi card into a software defined radio and get the raw signal I doubt you're going to be able to capture the keyboard signal.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2017-05-17 17:17:25

r0b0t

Do you know if there is any documentation regarding this topic?
Would be nice to dive into as it's kinda new.

Board footer