You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-15 01:39:04

andrewflnr

Upgrading linux to 4.11.3-1 or 4.11.4-1 renders my system unbootable

Upgrading linux from 4.10.11-1 to 4.11.3-1 or 4.11.4-1 (with corresponding tp_smapi changes) causes my system to be unbootable. It has displayed various symptoms over the course of this multi-day drama, but most recently, after I verified the issue on 4.11.4, the boot process hung after just a couple lines of output. On previous boot attempts, the login service had failed to start and tasks like updating the ldd cache would simply not stop. Basically, it somehow finds a way to hang.

There must be something weird with my system, since no one else seems to be complaining, but it seems pretty vanilla to me. I'm using a ThinkPad T410 from about 6 years ago. NVidia Optimus graphics, with the discrete card disabled in BIOS IIRC. ArchLinux is installed on a couple LVM partitions, no encryption. I don't know what other information to give.

I have pictures of most of the interesting error messages on the screen, though for some of them the reason is mixed with my attempts to diagnose the problem, for instance, failure to properly downgrade systemd because of an out-of-space error during the post-install steps. Does imgur work for you peeps?

P.S. If you get nonsensical out-of-space errors when using pacman from a LiveCD in a chroot, try unmounting /tmp in the chroot. Apparently the 51200k or whatever that arch-chroot allocates for /tmp is not enough. My LiveCD is from 2012, for whatever that's worth.

#2 2017-06-15 01:51:41

Ropid

Re: Upgrading linux to 4.11.3-1 or 4.11.4-1 renders my system unbootable

Maybe this here is somehow related:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226531

?

#3 2017-06-15 05:23:15

andrewflnr

Re: Upgrading linux to 4.11.3-1 or 4.11.4-1 renders my system unbootable

Ropid wrote:

Maybe this here is somehow related:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226531

?

That does look like it. At least, the latest kernel booted on my machine with acpi=off. Hopefully my redundant post still has value from the disk-space error message. smile

Thanks for the quick response! I posted, went on errands, and came back to an answer.

P.S. For future travellers and wandering bots, the other error message was something like: "Output is truncated: no space left on device" and "WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.". AFAICT `umount /tmp` (inside the chroot!) fixes it by using your actual disk instead of an in-memory FS.

Board footer