You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-23 04:29:22

ccpplinux

How to restrict user to his/her home directory in Webmin

I have installed and configured Arch Linux on a VPS. Currently I am using Webmin as a control panel. But the problem with Webmin is that every user of my server is able to access the root(/) folder of server when logged in through Webmin. I want that a user should only be able to access his home directory (/home/username) when logged in through webmin. Can any one suggest how it can be achieved through Webmin? And if it is not possible in Webmin then please suggest me another control panel having similar feature for Arch Linux VPS.

#2 2017-06-23 11:26:29

Lone_Wolf

Re: How to restrict user to his/her home directory in Webmin

Control panels like webmin are intended to be used for system administration and typically give root access .

What tasks do you want normal users to use webmin/control panel  for ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-06-23 13:16:19

ccpplinux

I want that normal users should be able to explore files and folders of their home directory with a simple file editor. They should able to perform all file/folder related actions within their home directory. In addition to this, they should also be manage databases created for them by admin or themselves. However it is not absolutely required as I can give them URL of phpMyAdmin using which they will be manage their own database. So primary concern is about ability of file/folder related operation within their home directory.

#4 2017-06-24 13:24:31

Lone_Wolf

For file/folder functionality  using SFTP  / SSHFS seems easiest solution .

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SCP_and_SFTP and related articles .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer