You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-27 14:51:45

skyworld_chen

can't connect to vpn through pptp

Hi,
I have started pptp in amazon AWS EC2, which I think is the same as a pptp function on a linux server. Then I start to connect to this vpn server from my win10 notebook. But each time when i try to connect, the system asked me for user name and password. After i fill that, vpn connection shows that it is authenticating. Then it shows can't build coonection to remote computer, the connection closed.

I checked logs on EC2 server (/var/log/messages), there always shows:

CTRL: starting call (larnching pppd, opening GRE)
    pppd 2.4.5 started by ec2-user, uid 0
    pppd: Using interface ppp0
    pppd: connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4
    Modem hangup
    Connection terminated

Can anybody give me some clue on how to debug this? Or where can I find related pptp's logs? thanks.

#2 2017-06-27 20:10:41

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: can't connect to vpn through pptp

My only guess is that GRE might be getting filtered/blocked somewhere along the way and that will definitely break pptp vpns.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2017-06-28 01:09:11

skyworld_chen

Hi R00KIE,

do you have any suggestion on how I can identify where this GRE is blocked? Since in VPN server I can see GRE is enabled through log as this:

CTRL: starting call (larnching pppd, opening GRE)

thanks.

#4 2017-06-28 10:32:57

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I'm sorry can't help there. My guess is based on my previous experience trying to connect to a pptp vpn where I had to setup iptables on my computer to let gre in and also configure the router at home to allow pptp (enable pptp in the application layer gateway settings).

I suppose there must be a way to check that, if nothing else you might be able to infer that  from the logs or the problem you are experiencing but you will have to google that.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer