You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-28 20:21:37

Harl3k1ng

Loopback interface - dhcpcd

Hello, when configuring my network interface I have the choice of enabling the daemon dhcpcd to work with all interfaces or with a particular one. I have an ethernet interface and a loopback one. I have not been able to work out why you would want dhcpcd to work with your loopback interface after reading the wiki and googling a bit. Should I include the loopback interface or not?

Harl3k1ng.

#2 2017-06-29 08:58:24

mpan
Website

Re: Loopback interface - dhcpcd

Does DHCP make sense for loopback? You have the answer.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2017-06-29 13:29:03

seth

I'm not sure how much he is in the details, but running eg. dhcpcd@eth0.service is likely faster than dhcpcd.service because dhcpcd then doesn't have to scan the devices.
Oth. it's of course more fragile eg. if the device name changes for whatever reason.

Rule of thumb is to only select devices if you deliberately want to exclude others (because eg. wifi is managed by netctl or so) and ignore that running dhcpcd might take 2ms longer.
dhcpcd is smart enough to deal with the special nature of the lo device - if that's your concern.

#4 2017-06-30 19:30:48

rsmarples

It's more running 1 daemon to control them all, or one daemon per interface.
The fact you have a loopback interface is just a technicality - some people have wired and wireless and usb network sticks too!

For the most part, running dhcpcd on all interfaces is fine.
It's when you start using bridging, virtual interfaces and what not it could get tricky, but should still work. But then interfaces can be inclusive or exclusive in dhcpcd.conf via the allowedinterfaces and denyinterfaces commands.

As the author, I highly recommend running dhcpcd on all interfaces. If you don't then the nice extra tools like dhcpcd-gtk, dhcpcd-qt and dhcpcd-online don't work.

Board footer