You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-07 00:52:47

GNUGradyn

Terraria crashes system unless redirecting output, mouse doesnt work

So, I used to have kubuntu on my laptop whereas terraria worked just fine. I got arch on my tower about a month ago, and I really liked it, so I decided it was time to install it on my laptop. I setup KDE plasma and installed steam. However, upon launching terraria, it would freeze the entire system, a few moments later causing the laptop to shut down. In an effort to figure out the problem, I tried piping the output to a file, letting the system crash, and then analyzing the log. However, upon piping the output to a file (even if its /dev/null), it runs like it would on kubuntu. Exept 1 problem. The mouse works outside terraria just fine,  but if i move the mouse into the terraria window, the mouse turns invisible and cannot interact with the terraria UI. So my 3 questions are:

1: Why does redirecting game output to /dev/null stop the game from crashing and bringing the whole system with it

2: Why does systemd allow terraria so much memory it actually crashes the system

3: Why can i not make use of the mouse pointer in the terraria window

Side note: I setup my laptop and tower the same way, exept my tower uses an NVIDIA gpu, whereas my laptop uses intel graphics, I have setup the drivers accordingly. Terraria works as expected on the tower

Last edited by GNUGradyn (2017-07-07 00:59:59)

#2 2017-07-07 00:56:03

GNUGradyn

Re: Terraria crashes system unless redirecting output, mouse doesnt work

UPDATE: after launching the game with output redirected at least once, I can launch the game normally until the laptop reboots

Board footer