You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-21 03:01:56

ihavenoname

Ndiswrapper & the rt2500usb driver{solved}

I have a Linksys WUSB54gv4 wifi card that uses the rt2500usb driver, which generally works with ndiswrapper. This wifi card also has a linux native driver the rt2570 (also the rt2x00 driver is eventually going to work with this card, or so we hope). However the Linux native driver has a problem working with kernels that have SMP support (to the best of my knowledge) Which is why I use ndiswrapper (also because ndiswrapper works with Network Manager).

The reason I ask is because some people seem to have an easier time getting ndiswrapper to work properly with their Network cards while it works flawlessly with others. (this is also to give me more knowledge so that I may be able to better understand the problems that I am facing with my network card)

Finally, if someone could recommend a good place where I can learn  how to recompile the kernel w/o smp support it would be great thank you. (sry if this is a little off topic, I just thought I would save forum space by asking here since the reason I am planing to recompile is related to the wireless card.)
Edit: yes I have been looking at the Wiki for abs kernel compilation, I am however unsure as to what lines I should delete or add to ensure that the kernel does not have smp support (also I might want to add other optimizations). Kernel recompilation seems a bit overwhelming, In gentoo theres is the location where you can set the CFlags (or something like that)  for the kernel compile so that you can personally choose what optimizations you want, is there a line like that for the pkgbuild? I cannot locate it.

In this land of the pain the sane lose not knowing they were part of the game.

~LP

#2 2006-06-21 14:50:19

ihavenoname

Re: Ndiswrapper & the rt2500usb driver{solved}

If any of this is unclear please ask for clarification and I will do the best I can.

~LP

#3 2006-06-22 01:44:43

iphitus
Forum Fellow

rt2x00 is available in [unstable]

download the latest CVS snapshot for rt2570, it contains SMP support. There will be packages for this in the repositories soonish.

#4 2006-06-24 22:19:45

ihavenoname

iphitus wrote:

rt2x00 is available in [unstable]

download the latest CVS snapshot for rt2570, it contains SMP support. There will be packages for this in the repositories soonish.

I will try that thank you. Also, if I don't have an smp processor, do you think that the smp support might cause problems with the stability of my system, as that was (IMO) the culprit behind some nasty freezes. And it seems to be a pattern in many of the distributions that I have tried. (That is, the distros with kernels that have SMP enabled tended to freeze. In Ubuntu for example the kernel with SMP support froze the system, while the i386 kernel that did not have SMP enabled was far more stable)

~LP

#5 2006-06-25 02:18:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

The lack of SMP support in the driver was the culprit behind the freezes you would get on rt2570 on a SMP based kernel. Arch distributes SMP based kernels, so your drivers need to be SMP friendly, even if your hardware isnt SMP.

The CVS of rt2570, apparently has had SMP support added, so that'd definitely be worth looking at.

James

#6 2006-06-25 19:04:08

ihavenoname

ah, Thanx!

~LP

Board footer