You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-29 08:03:07

aphirst
Website

[pcmanfm] [SAMBA] - Can't browse workgroup, can connect directly

Server runs Arch ARM, this client runs normal Arch. Other clients on the network seem to have no issues with the setup, so I think the issue is indeed confined here. I don't have any Windows machines currently, and while our router does offer support for sharing a single USB device via samba, there's no real ability to configure it or diagnose it beyond merely specifying what its WORKGROUP and DEVICE names should be, and "enabling/disabling" samba sharing.

pcmanfm is able to connect to my samba shares directly, both via smb://servername/share AND smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/share. However, when I go into the Network view, either pcmanfm hangs entirely until it reaches its timeout, or I get the "Windows Network" subentry, clicking on which simply yields nothing (though does not "hang" the application).

I also have the same shares mounted directly to /mnt subdirectories via cifs entries in /etc/fstab which works fine too.

I'm not really sure how to proceed from here, so I figured I should make a forum thread. Below I've posted the trimmed (via testparm) smb.conf from the Server and the Client. If there's anything else which would be worth sharing, just let me know.

results of smbtree, run on the 'Client':

[adam@shimmer ~]$ smbtree
YGGDRASIL
	\\SHIMMER        		SHIMMER
		\\SHIMMER\IPC$           	IPC Service (SHIMMER)
	\\CRYSTAL        		Router USB
	\\ALARMPI        		ALARMPI
		\\ALARMPI\IPC$           	IPC Service (ALARMPI)
		\\ALARMPI\ruby           	
		\\ALARMPI\opal

testparm results on the 'Server':

[alarm@alarmpi ~]$ testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[opal]"
Processing section "[ruby]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = ALARMPI
	workgroup = YGGDRASIL
	domain master = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	name resolve order = wins bcast lmhosts host
	security = USER
	dns proxy = No
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[opal]
	path = /mnt/Opal
	guest ok = Yes
	read only = No

[ruby]
	path = /mnt/Ruby
	guest ok = Yes
	read only = No

Running systemd services: smbd, nmbd, winbindd

testparm on the 'Client':

[adam@shimmer ~]$ testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
[global]
	server string = SHIMMER
	workgroup = YGGDRASIL
	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	security = USER
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 192.168.0.2
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

Running systemd services: smbd, nmbd, winbindd

Last edited by aphirst (2017-08-29 08:08:26)

ArchLinux | x86_64 | linux-ck-ivybridge
ThinkPad X230 | 12.5" | i5-3320M (2.5GHz) | HD 4000 | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 2TB HDD
ThinkPad T430 | 14.1" | i7-3520M (2.9GHz) | GF108M (NVS 5400M) | 16GB (1600MHz) | 256GB mSATA SSD | 1TB HDD | 500GB HDD

#2 2017-11-28 06:31:01

AveryFreeman

Re: [pcmanfm] [SAMBA] - Can't browse workgroup, can connect directly

I'm having the same issue with my domain network, samba 4.7.3.  Everything else works great.  Can connect to netbios names and FQDNs, authentication is fine, getent passwd/group returns the names on my domain controller .... can't browse shares.  my smbtree only returns a few results, too, even though I can connect to the ones it doesn't return.  It's pretty weird...

Have you gotten anywhere with this?

Thanks!

#3 2018-01-07 15:36:36

XaFFaX

Hi all,

I have the same issue. I can browse shares directly, I can view shares by using smbtree, but when I want to show entire workgroup I get an error message. What is even more interesting I have 2 workgroups in my networks and one can be browsed and shows hosts, while second one does not...

Has anyone encountered such a problem? What can I share to help with tracing the issue?

Thanks!

#4 2018-01-08 10:48:10

The Loko

I found a "fix" for this: since samba 4.7 the default value of client max protocol changed to "SMB3_11".
I added on /etc/samba/smb.conf this:

client max protocol = NT1

Then restart the computer (looks like restarting smbd and nmbd isn't enough). It seems to work on any file explorer.

#5 2018-01-12 12:06:53

XaFFaX

The Loko wrote:

I found a "fix" for this: since samba 4.7 the default value of client max protocol changed to "SMB3_11".
I added on /etc/samba/smb.conf this:

client max protocol = NT1

Then restart the computer (looks like restarting smbd and nmbd isn't enough). It seems to work on any file explorer.

Thanks The Loko I confirm this working. Now when I browse workgroup it works fine. I will only add that the change is only required on client side. Server does not need this change.

However I do not understand why it is working. smbtree shows proper list of hosts and shares, I can access shares without a problem without adding this option, however I cannot browse workgroup. In addition only workgroup in which host uses samba under archlinux does not work. Workgroup with windows hosts only works fine. This seems to be a Thunar issue, I see no other option. I will see if I can find whether it can work with SMB protocol > 1 what seems to be the issue.

Thanks for finding this workaround!

Board footer