You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-26 12:24:10

fuzzy
Website

MySQL & PHP issues since upgrade

Little bit of background: I ran an arch server about two years ago, basically a personal web server (for about a year).  Had apache, mysql and php running nicely on it using the basic configurations with some minor changes.

Now, present day.  I have recently installed Arch again and once the upgrades were announced, I held off on installing the LAMP applications.  So, Friday I installed them (as oppsed to upgrading), and thought I had them all working fine.  Apache was running, mysql was running (command line access was working well with one exception, more on that later), and php was being parsed.  When I tried to pull data out of a database, i was getting "call to undeclared function mysql_pconnect()."  I googled the error and searched the Arch forums, and everything said to make sure php was compiled with the '--with-mysql' option.  I checked that using phpinfo(), and indeed it was, but it was '--with-mysql=/shared', /usr' (or something similar).  What I ended up doing was removing the arch package and recompiling php myself using '--with-mysql' (no arguments) and it works beautifully.  So, basically, is the arch configuration for php correct?

Also, issue number two, I have created a non-root user in mysql, but when i try to log in i receive access denied for 'user@localhost' (using password: YES).  Did i miss a setting that won't allow me to log in as anyone but root?

Thanks in advance.  smile

/me lurks

#2 2006-06-26 14:14:41

kth5
Website

Re: MySQL & PHP issues since upgrade

simple, edit your php.ini like so:

BEFORE:

1250:;extension=mysql.so

AFTER

1250:extension=mysql.so

no need to recompile php. smile

ps: "grep -n mysql.so /etc/php.ini"

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

#3 2006-06-26 15:17:20

fuzzy
Website

I believe had that line uncommented before i did the recompile and it was still giving me problems.

it was explained in the wiki  wink

guess the only way to find out is to install the arch package....

/me lurks

#4 2006-06-26 17:14:07

fuzzy
Website

heh...i'm an idiot.  <wallbash>.  I had the wrong line uncommented - i had the msql line uncommented.  that's what i get for reading too quickly.

Thanks for your help!  smile

/me lurks

#5 2006-06-26 23:22:23

kth5
Website

it's not that i'm 100% sure on this but i think ever since php5, mysql cannot be built into php. so wether you put --with-mysql=shared or --with-mysql or nothing at all when mysql is just detected, should not matter.

I recognize that while theory and practice are, in theory, the same, they are, in practice, different. -Mark Mitchell

Board footer