You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-18 17:57:34

JizzaDaMan

Connecting to university WiFi

I'm trying to connect to my university's WiFi network, which uses WPA2 Enterprise security and PEAP and MSCHAPV2 authentication.  I use Network Manager.

My laptop finds the network, but if I just click on it, it'll sit for a long while, trying to connect, and eventually give up.

I can connect using 'Connect to a hidden network' by entering the necessary details, but I have to check "No CA certificate is required."

To me, this implies that the reason it hangs is because it's trying to check the server's certificate but can't, though I am by no means knowledgeable about this stuff.  Connecting as above bothers me for two reasons:

1) Lack of security.  I've no reason to distrust the server, but the Wiki tells me this leaves me vulnerable to man in the middle attacks: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … Enterprise
2) It adds an extra connection to the list on top of the exiting university network, which bothers me on principle tongue

I've really got no idea of where to start with this one.  Do I need to worry about the security issue?  Is it possible to check the CA certificate (and is this even the problem?), and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks.

#2 2017-09-19 12:39:49

Lone_Wolf

Re: Connecting to university WiFi

Is pptpclient installed ?

You have read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … Enterprise ?
yes, you did

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2017-09-19 12:40:23)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2017-09-19 13:54:20

JizzaDaMan

Yes I've got pptpclient installed

#4 2017-09-20 10:59:27

Lone_Wolf

I'm inclined to suggest you try manually connecting until it's clear what settings work, but that will require information about the university network.
(you may have to contact the IT of the uni for the answers)

Does your university use / support eduroam ?

Are they using eap-tls ?

If yes, where can you find the necessary certificates to connect ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2017-09-20 11:43:33

JizzaDaMan

Yes I've already connected to Eduroam, and I know the details of the WiFi so I have connected manually, just without checking certificates.

They use PEAP.

Yeah so this is really the meat of my question.  I would like to have it check certificates, so how can I find them?  I'm told by the IT department that their certificate authority is AffirmTrust if that helps.

Board footer