You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-28 19:13:02

craigrostan

NFS mappings drop on re-boot

Good evening all,

I'm a very new newbie, so please bear with me.

I've messed with Linux over the past 20 years, but only as a user, and have minimal Linux skills, but after using Windows 10 I decided that it was time to get away from MS.

I've messed with various distros but have decided to stick with Arch. Ok enough of the rambling and here's the problem.

I have my Arch laptop, and a QNap NAS. I have managed to map access the NA shares using SMB and have managed to manually  map successfully to the shares through NFS. But my problem is that when I reboot I have to manually map the shares again. I have googled for solutions and have tried various supposed fixes but to no avail.

Could I ask for some assistance to get a solution to my problem.

"For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aye well maybe we'll redeem ourselves one day.

#2 2017-09-28 19:17:43

Slithery
Administrator

Re: NFS mappings drop on re-boot

Welcome to the forums craigrostan smile

The NFS wiki page covers this, can you post your /etc/fstab so that we can see how you're attempting to mount the shares.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-09-28 19:31:58

craigrostan

Hi Slithery,

Here's my Fstab:

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>
# /dev/sdb2
UUID=01be31a8-4f26-468f-9798-483b553e5973    /             ext4          rw,relatime,data=ordered            0 1

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=5e0f4156-42d9-4dd0-ab4b-712d3d486a1b    /boot         ext4          rw,relatime,stripe=4,data=ordered    0 2

# /dev/sdb3
UUID=73d97ec5-9643-4895-818d-c6a1dab11dae    none          swap          defaults                              0 0

/dev/disk/by-uuid/755c82b0-9bcd-45cb-879a-e058afe30630 /mnt/755c82b0-9bcd-45cb-879a-e058afe30630 ext4 nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

I have to admit, that when i did my Google searches, and found various solutions that involved modifying FStab, and all I got was a system that failed to boot, which I sorted by using vi in the emergency mode to take out what I changed.

Thanks for the quick reply, and sorry if i am such a numpty.

Craigrostan

"For, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

#4 2017-09-28 19:46:27

craigrostan

Here are the commands I used to manually map the NFS shares:

mount 192.168.1.100:/ /media/nfs
mount 192.168.1.100:/ /multimedia/music

But I can only map these when root.

Craigrostan

Last edited by craigrostan (2017-09-28 19:47:05)

#5 2017-09-28 19:48:23

Slithery
Administrator

No need to use Google, the only place you should be looking is the wiki...

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NF … tc.2Ffstab

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2017-09-28 19:56:17

craigrostan

Thanks,

I'll spend time and read his carefully. If i have problems, is it ok to come back?

Craigrostan

#7 2017-09-28 20:09:55

craigrostan

Hi! Slithery,

I've manged to get the shares to map, but can't access them. I get a message that says they cannot be accessed except by root.

Any thoughts?

Craigrostan

#8 2017-09-28 20:44:48

craigrostan

Hi!,

I have managed to get it done :-)

It only need "user" added to the mapping script.

Thanks for the help and the push to do my own research :-)

Cheers

Craigrostan

#9 2017-09-28 20:56:24

Slithery
Administrator

Glad you got it sorted smile

Don't forget to mark this thread [SOLVED]...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

aur - dotfiles

Board footer