You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-13 11:53:21

TheChosenOne

[SOLVED] GRUB fails to boot

Tried to install Arch Linux on my netbook.
Relevant commands:

gdisk /dev/sdx
-> 1) 1GB BIOS boot - code: ef02
-> 2) Rest Linux
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx2
mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sdx2 /mnt
mount /dev/sdx1 /mnt/boot
pacstrap /mnt base
genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
arch-chroot /mnt
pacman -S grub
mkinitcpio -p linux
grub-install --target=i386-pc /dev/sdx
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

When I reboot, I only see a black screen with the word GRUB. Did I do something wrong? I've installed Arch before on this machine...

Thanks.

Last edited by TheChosenOne (2017-10-13 13:50:49)

#2 2017-10-13 12:56:15

lo1

Re: [SOLVED] GRUB fails to boot

Could you explain more accurately your scenario, please? I'm assuming you're trying to install grub on a UEFI firmware, since mounting and creating a boot directory wouldn't be necessary otherwise..give us some details, i'm sure you're missing some steps of this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Last edited by lo1 (2017-10-13 13:00:49)

#3 2017-10-13 13:00:45

TheChosenOne

I don't think I have UEFI firmware. How do I know that?

#4 2017-10-13 13:04:22

Slithery
Administrator

lo1 wrote:

Could you explain more accurately your scenario, please? I'm assuming you're trying to install grub on a UEFI firmware, since mounting and creating a boot partition wouldn't be necessary otherwise..give us some details, i'm sure you're missing some steps of this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Looks like BIOS to me. To use GRUB on a GPT/BIOS set up you need a special GRUB boot partition type (ef02), although it only needs to be 2MB, not 1GB. Note that this is different to a system /boot partition, which isn't needed for this setup.This GRUB partition shouldn't be mounted at all, by mounting it at /mnt/boot you've messed up your installation.

Try installing again without mounting /dev/sdx1.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#5 2017-10-13 13:07:06

lo1

Enter your bios settings (usually hit "Canc" immediately after booting your pc) and see if you see something called "UEFI" under boot preferences. Sometimes having a gpt scheme (instead of the usual MBR) "MAY" indicate that you're running on a UEFI firmware but really, read carefully the wiki relating grub, uefi and setting up a bootloader according to your system

#6 2017-10-13 13:14:31

lo1

slithery wrote:
lo1 wrote:

Could you explain more accurately your scenario, please? I'm assuming you're trying to install grub on a UEFI firmware, since mounting and creating a boot partition wouldn't be necessary otherwise..give us some details, i'm sure you're missing some steps of this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Looks like BIOS to me. To use GRUB on a GPT/BIOS set up you need a special GRUB boot partition type (ef02), although it only needs to be 2MB, not 1GB. Note that this is different to a system /boot partition, which isn't needed for this setup.This GRUB partition shouldn't be mounted at all, by mounting it at /mnt/boot you've messed up your installation.

I do apologize, i'm no fan nor expert of anything else which isn't classic BIOS/MBR, also note that i edited my post since i meant boot directory, not boot partition, which is clearly a mess at this point.

#7 2017-10-13 13:50:37

TheChosenOne

slithery wrote:

To use GRUB on a GPT/BIOS set up you need a special GRUB boot partition type (ef02), although it only needs to be 2MB, not 1GB. Note that this is different to a system /boot partition, which isn't needed for this setup.This GRUB partition shouldn't be mounted at all, by mounting it at /mnt/boot you've messed up your installation.

This is the correct answer. It works.

Board footer