You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-23 12:40:47

xtek

[SOLVED] Disconnected randomly from wifi when using captive portal

Hello everyone,

I've been using Arch for a few days and really like it so far, I have been able to solve most of the problem I encountered using the documentation and/or forum posts, but I can't seem to find a solution to the problem i'm encountering.

Here's the thing, my school use a captive portal allow connection to the internet, lease time is 1 hour and it work fine on other linux distro / windows, but when i'm running arch, I can connect to the wifi, login in the captive portal (a message is showing the remaining time) but I get randomly disconnected every few minutes and they ask me to login in the portal again.
My guess is that somehow, my computer isn't keeping some kind of cookie that would allow the connection ?

If you guys have any ideas or require additional information, just tell me and i'll provide it.

Thanks.

Last edited by xtek (2017-10-24 08:14:14)

#2 2017-10-23 14:19:42

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Disconnected randomly from wifi when using captive portal

The typical cause is that you're running multiple (competing) network managing services.
What's the output of

systemctl list-unit-files --state=enabled
systemctl list-units| grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)'

#3 2017-10-23 14:40:18

xtek

I did install NetworkManager when I installed arch so it might be the problem, here is the output of the commands you listed :

UNIT FILE                                   STATE  
autovt@.service                             enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service enabled
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service  enabled
dhcpcd.service                              enabled
display-manager.service                     enabled
getty@.service                              enabled
lightdm.service                             enabled
NetworkManager-dispatcher.service           enabled
NetworkManager.service                      enabled
vmware-hostd.service                        enabled
vmware-networks.service                     enabled
vmware-usbarbitrator.service                enabled
remote-fs.target                            enabled

13 unit files listed.
[etienne@PO-EAL ~]$ systemctl list-units| grep -iE '(net|wicd|dhcp|conn)'
sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1c.2-0000:04:00.0-net-wlp4s0.device                        loaded active plugged   Wireless 7265 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265)                                 
sys-devices-pci0000:00-0000:00:1c.3-0000:05:00.1-net-enp5s0f1.device                      loaded active plugged   RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller                  
sys-devices-virtual-net-vmnet1.device                                                     loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/net/vmnet1                                            
sys-devices-virtual-net-vmnet8.device                                                     loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/net/vmnet8                                            
sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp5s0f1.device                                                 loaded active plugged   RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller                  
sys-subsystem-net-devices-vmnet1.device                                                   loaded active plugged   /sys/subsystem/net/devices/vmnet1                                          
sys-subsystem-net-devices-vmnet8.device                                                   loaded active plugged   /sys/subsystem/net/devices/vmnet8                                          
sys-subsystem-net-devices-wlp4s0.device                                                   loaded active plugged   Wireless 7265 (Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265)                                 
sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount                                                             loaded active mounted   FUSE Control File System                                                   
dhcpcd.service                                                                            loaded active running   dhcpcd on all interfaces                                                   
NetworkManager.service                                                                    loaded active running   Network Manager                                                            
vmware-networks.service                                                                   loaded active running   VMware Networks                                                            
network.target                                                                            loaded active active    Network                      

#4 2017-10-23 14:48:01

ewaller
Administrator

NetworkManager will start the dhcpd daemon as a sub process when it needs it.  You have enabled the dhcpcd service which launches its own version of the dhcpcd daemon.  Those two daemons launched by different services don't play well together.  Disable and stop the dhcpcd.service

Last edited by ewaller (2017-10-23 15:59:36)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-10-23 15:41:13

xtek

ewaller wrote:

NetworkManager will start the dhcpd daemon as a sub process when it need it.  You have enabled the dhcpcd service which launches its own version of the dhcpcd daemon.  Those two daemons launched by different services don't play well together.  Disable and stop the dhcpcd.service

Okay i was not aware of that, thanks for pointing it out, I have disabled it and I will post a message tomorrow when I get back to school to see if this solved it !

#6 2017-10-24 08:10:35

xtek

Disabling the DHCPCD daemon solved it and I can know browse normally without being disconnect from the portal, thank you guys.

Board footer