You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-04 16:32:57

lviggiani

Network scanner and firewalld

Hi,
currently in order to user "simple scan" with a network scanner (Epson XP-235 wifi printer scanner) I have to stop firewalld service otherwise it would not be detected.
I'm sure I can do it without disablinf firewalld by simply setting the correct rules for the firewall but I don't have any idea of wich port(s) I shoud open...

Something like:

firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=nnnn/tcp --permanent
firewall-cmd --reload

Thanks!

#2 2017-11-06 02:23:20

GenkiSky

Re: Network scanner and firewalld

Hmm, I'm not familiar with wi-fi printers. But if the firewall really is the problem, and there is no documentation of the printer telling you what to open in your firewall, you should be able to find what to let through by: First, install wireshark, then disable the firewall. Then, open wireshark and tell it to track packets on your wi-fi interface. Then scan/print to the printer. Meanwhile, a bunch of traffic should show in the wireshark output, and one of the columns is what port the connection takes place on. That should tell you what to open.

Last edited by GenkiSky (2017-11-06 02:23:59)

#3 2017-11-14 14:16:53

lviggiani

Re: Network scanner and firewalld

GenkiSky wrote:

Hmm, I'm not familiar with wi-fi printers. But if the firewall really is the problem, and there is no documentation of the printer telling you what to open in your firewall, you should be able to find what to let through by: First, install wireshark, then disable the firewall. Then, open wireshark and tell it to track packets on your wi-fi interface. Then scan/print to the printer. Meanwhile, a bunch of traffic should show in the wireshark output, and one of the columns is what port the connection takes place on. That should tell you what to open.

Thanks! I've followed your suggestion and used wireshark... but I've seen so many ports involved that after trying to open them all, I gave up.
I'll disable firewalld when I need to scan over network... sad

Board footer