You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-13 00:11:38

Clockris
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 8

"nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Hi everybody!

I have installed Archlinux on my laptop. As display manager I installed lightDM and as desktop enviornment I installed enlightenment 21.9. How can you imagin form the title of the post I installed as network manager NetworkManager with the network-manager-applet-indicator extension.

My problem is that the network-manager-applet-indicator trayicon is visible on the systemtray only if I run it manually with:

 nm-applet --indicator 

there is no way to start it automatically on boot.

I tried to set the system application "Network" as "to run on boot" on Enlightenment, I tried to create a script to run the manual command at the login or as command written in the .xsession script (runned by lightDM) and I tried to modify in many way the file 
/etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop but I didn't obtained any result.

Is there someone who know as to show automatically on boot the nm-applet indicator on Enlightenment 21?

Thanks.

Offline

#2 2017-12-13 03:22:41

x33a
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 4,587

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=228876

Edit: Nevermind, I missed that you are already using the indicator package (from AUR I presume?).

Offline

#3 2017-12-13 07:26:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Try this:

mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart
cp /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop ~/.config/autostart

Although I am surprised that Enlightenment doesn't do this automatically.


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#4 2017-12-13 08:46:18

Clockris
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 8

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Thanks for the answers, working a bit more on the problem I found that the nm-applet process start at the beginning, but like

 nm-applet 

and not like

 nm-applet --indicator 

in this way the already running process prevent the start of the "--indicator" process but doesn't show the applet.

Offline

#5 2017-12-13 11:18:21

Clockris
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 8

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Update: now it is much more weird, sometimes the tryicon it's shown at boot and sometimes it run but it doesn't appear in the systemtray. No matter if I logout or reboot.

The only thing that happen every time is that: once I start a session where the nm-applet doesn't show the next session or reboot always loose the nm-applet icon and the only way to have it back is to kill manually the nm-applet process and rerun it.

Offline

#6 2017-12-14 19:04:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Anything in Xorg's log?


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#7 2017-12-15 14:02:22

Clockris
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 8

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

No, I didn't find anything, so I unistalled enlightment and I installed gnome... everything works now.

Offline

#8 2017-12-15 21:43:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: The Wirral
Registered: 2014-02-20
Posts: 9,003
Website

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

But that's not a solution sad

You should have posted the log here, perhaps you missed something.

See also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855


Jin, Jîyan, Azadî

Offline

#9 2017-12-17 10:04:36

Clockris
Member
Registered: 2017-12-12
Posts: 8

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

Sorry everyone, I know that uninstall enlightenment is not a solution, but I had even other problems not mentioned in this post (as the crash each time I tried to close a window) and I needed a working pc immediately.

Offline

#10 2017-12-19 15:12:45

afulm
Member
Registered: 2012-01-31
Posts: 20

Re: "nm-applet --indicator" doesn't start on boot

I had this problem as well. When I deleted the configuration of my VPN i had on autostart, the applet stopped disappearing. But now I can't add my VPN configuration again, because networkmanager seems to deny me the proper permissions.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB