You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-04 00:06:21

rob-tech

[SOLVED] Plasma 5 network manager applet UI glitch

Hello everyone,

I just finished my Arch installation after failing the first time. I'm really enjoying the power and flexibility, and this is by far the best distro I have used. I just have a small issue with my network applet and I'm wondering if this is a problem with my setup (some permissions), or some reproducible bug. I already worked around another bug in this post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=232311

Basically the symptoms are as follows: You boot up your system and log in to plasma, after wifi is done connecting you click on your network in the applet, you go to the details tab and under Security type it says Unknown security type rather than the correct WPA2-PSK. Now the weird occurrence is that I can make the applet recognise the correct security type by going to system settings >> connections, and clicking on my wifi network. As soon as I do that the applet will show the correct security until the system is rebooted.

Now I realise that this isn't critical, but I'm very detail oriented and would like to know if this is a problem on my end. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is having a great new year so far smile

Regards, Robert

Last edited by rob-tech (2018-01-04 11:46:33)

#2 2018-01-04 02:51:40

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Plasma 5 network manager applet UI glitch

Hello, Welcome to Arch Linux, and congratulations on a fairly good first post.

I had a feeling you are using NetworkManager, and the link you provided just about confirms it.  Please confirm that you are using NetworkManager as your tool for controlling wifi.
Also, let's check you don't have thing fighting each other.  Please post the output of find /etc/systemd.  You might also tell us about your wifi hardware (manufacturer, chip set, etc...

I don't use Plasma myself (or NetworkManager, for that mater).  Have you tried any other tools, like nm-cli to see if they provide correct data?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2018-01-04 05:13:27

rob-tech

Hi ewaller,

Thank you for your prompt reply, Yes I'm using NetworkManager for my connections since I feel this integrates best with plasma. During the installation I used dhcpcd to connect to wired internet, however that was disabled using systemd before I configured NetworkManager as follows:

systemctl stop dhcpcd.service
systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

The output of find /etc/systemd is as follows:

$ find /etc/systemd
/etc/systemd
/etc/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/printer.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/printer.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service
/etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.bluez.service
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.socket
/etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/avahi-daemon.socket
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ufw.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/org.cups.cupsd.path
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/avahi-daemon.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/bluetooth.target.wants/bluetooth.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
/etc/systemd/user.conf
/etc/systemd/logind.conf
/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-upload.conf
/etc/systemd/coredump.conf
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
/etc/systemd/system.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-remote.conf
/etc/systemd/user
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/dirmngr.socket
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gpg-agent-ssh.socket
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pulseaudio.socket
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gpg-agent.socket
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gpg-agent-browser.socket                                                                                                                              
/etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/gpg-agent-extra.socket                                                                                                                                
/etc/systemd/network

My wifi hardware is as follows:

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb) - Nothing fancy or exotic, drivers loaded out of the box.

I haven't really tried other tools as the connection seems to work well apart from the minor informational discrepancy.

Last edited by rob-tech (2018-01-04 06:54:06)

#4 2018-01-04 05:16:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please use code tags when pasting to the boards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2018-01-04 11:45:07

rob-tech

Well it looks like I'll be more patient next time as the issue just resolved itself after I upgraded to linux 4.14.11-1. I can no longer reproduce this bug on my Dell M4700 mobile workstation, so if anyone is experiencing the same issue please simply upgrade your kernel. I'm marking this as solved. smile

Board footer