You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-08 08:04:11

A'kila

[SOLVED] Steam stopped working, glxgears Error: couldn't get an RGB

Dear all,

So I installed all the bumblebee stuff, nvidia stuff etc and managed to get everything working for a while. Optirun to use my nvidia card and otherwise everything ran smoothly. But one day steam was gone... So I tried to ran it with the terminal and I got an error saying Gl glx extension is not supported by display. Then I tried to run glx gears and I got the error from the subject ( edit: optirun glxgears does work but not without optirun, then i get the error )... So I tried different solutions found on different wikis but nothing worked, today I even tried to remove everything from nvidia and reinstall nouveau, that kinda worked. Still got an X error from terminal while running glx gears, "fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"". I tried to reinstall everything from nvidia and delete nouveau and got the same errors as before hmm anybody that can help me ? Just ask what I have to output to help you because I really don't know ...

Hardware:
Geforce GTX 880M
Intel i7 4710 MQ

Output lspci -k | grep -A 2 -E "(VGA|3D)"
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    Subsystem: Dell 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
    Kernel driver in use: i915
--
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104M [GeForce GTX 880M] (rev ff)
    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E220x Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)

( that ethernet controller is strange, first time I see it in there )

Sometimes the kernel modules states nouveau, nvidia_drm and nvidia for the nvidia card, sometimes it just states nvidia, don't really know why.
Thanks for the help

Last edited by A'kila (2018-01-08 12:52:05)

#2 2018-01-08 09:16:02

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Steam stopped working, glxgears Error: couldn't get an RGB

#3 2018-01-08 09:36:18

A'kila

Damn, I downgraded the lib32 package yesterday and that didn't help but I didn't think about downgrading the other nvidia packages ... Thx! Still got one error remaining now when I run glxgears, its the same as when I tried going back to the nouveau drivers :

glxgears
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 308 requests (42 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
[arthur@aw_arch ~]$

Any explanation ? Not that big of an issue for me, everything works now but maybe there is a good reason for it ?
( and steam still doesn't want to create a app shortcut, damned steam, not a real issue, I can create one myself but there's no logic tongue )

#4 2018-01-08 12:41:03

seth

"Normal" - you'll get that when closing the window, but not when interrupting the process (ctrl+c in the shell) or just kill it.
Basically glxgears complains that the window is gone and terminates. Doesn't look very convincing, but is the "expected" behavior.

#5 2018-01-08 12:50:22

A'kila

Okay thx for the help!

Board footer