You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-15 17:18:37

frukt

Wireless Rx throughput tuning? Downlink speeds slower than Windows

I was wondering if there are any options to optimize wireless reception on Arch. My wireless adapter is a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 using the `iwlwifi` module. I noticed that the same hardware on Windows with the machine in the same location yields roughly 25-30% better downlink throughput. The wireless APs are not under my control. I've applied the module options suggested in the wiki (`11n_disable=8` does make a difference, `bt_coex_active` and `swcrypto` do not) and set a lower fragmentation threshold, but this only seems to influence Tx rates, as expected.

It's interesting that `netsh show interfaces` on Windows reports a stable 65 Mb/s bit rate, but `iw dev wlo1 station dump` similarly reports a 65 Mb/s bit rate if the connection is idle, but when taxed, the bit rate drops to around 20-58 Mb/s. The AP on the other end is the same one. As evident, the wi-fi setup here isn't that great to start with, so the extra 10 Mb/s or so would help. I'm wondering if there would be a way to force the wireless driver to be less conservative about dropping bit rates or is this fully controlled by the access point? Or perhaps there's another way to tune the hardware or the driver.

Here's `iw list` output at bpaste.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Edit: dmesg contains an interesting line:

ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'iwl-agn-rs'

How would I go about selecting a different rate control algorithm to experiment?

Last edited by frukt (2018-01-15 17:28:33)

#2 2018-01-17 09:55:01

frukt

Re: Wireless Rx throughput tuning? Downlink speeds slower than Windows

In case anyone stumbles on this post wondering if the rate control algorithm can be changed for the iwlwifi driver: unfortunately not (as of kernel v4.14). The rate control callback is set via the mac80211 subsystem, and iwlwifi hardcodes it.

Board footer