You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-24 13:59:14

jab2870

Change emby user on media server

Hi,

I am quite new to arch so apologies if I am missing something obvious.

I am setting up a home server and would like to have nextcloud and emby both access the same group of files.

I have all the files I would like the two to view owned by mediaserver:mediaserver.  I also have the nextcloud vhost running as mediaserver:mediaserver, my question is, how can I get emby to run as mediaserver:mediaserver.

I have tried copying the file

/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service

to

/etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service

and changed the user and group in the new file.

I then did

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl start emby-server.service
sudo systemctl status emby-server.service

I then got this output:

● emby-server.service - Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live television.
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-08-24 14:59:46 BST; 12s ago
  Process: 10263 ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 10263 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 24 14:59:45 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 24 14:59:45 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: Stopped Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live television..
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: Failed to start Emby brings together your videos, music, photos, and live television..
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 24 14:59:46 jonathansnuc systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited by jab2870 (2017-08-24 14:00:39)

#2 2017-08-25 17:54:15

GenkiSky

Re: Change emby user on media server

What is the contents of emby-server.service ? I am not familiar with emby-server, but to answer your question directly, to run a service under a particular user/group, you can specify the User= and the Group= in the systemd service file itself. See systemd.exec(5) for more details. Also, according to https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Emby , emby default runs under User=emby and Group=emby. So changing your files to that ownership might be the simplest solution.

#3 2018-01-20 12:54:28

dom134

Re: Change emby user on media server

Hello, I know it's probably a dead thread, but I was struggling with this as well, but in Ubuntu.  I wanted my media files to be accessible by my home media server (Emby), but the files also accessible through Nextcloud.  I set the files as an external storage in Nextcloud and so it is a case of setting all the permissions

Change ownership of media files:

sudo chown -R nextcloud-user:nextcloud-user /path_to_media_files

In systemd:

sudo nano /usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service

I changed

User=nextcloud-user

Systemd pointed to a config fig file /etc/emby-server.conf, which in turn pointed to a directory /var/lib/emby and so I had to change the permission there

sudo chown -R nextcloud-user:nextcloud-user /var/lib/emby

Hope this helps!

Obviously you have to do the usual

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl restart emby-server.service
sudo systemctl status emby-server.service

And when Emby updates invariably you need to change the user in Systemd again

Last edited by dom134 (2018-02-25 19:49:38)

Board footer