You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-17 17:52:12

starfry

[SOLVED] Can I enable temporary IPv6 Addresses with netctl ?

My network is configured with netctl, uses a bridge and works fine with IPv6 both internally and externally.

I would like to use a temporary IPv6 address (i.e. "sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.br0.use_tempaddr=2").

I've found that the sysctl method (including "sysctl.d/ipv6.conf") does not work and any settings I make manually with "sysctl -w" also get wiped when stopping/starting the nework interface with netctl.

I have searched (RTFM, google, etc) for a netctl profile setting but didn't find one. Is there a config item to do this?

I suspect not, having looked at the code (/usr/lib/netctl/ip). I did modify /usr/lib/netctl/ip to do it and that works fine, but that was just a test.

How should I do this ?

Last edited by starfry (2018-01-25 16:39:29)

#2 2018-01-18 11:18:14

lo1

Re: [SOLVED] Can I enable temporary IPv6 Addresses with netctl ?

Never done this before, but you should look at the default in /usr/lib/sysctl.d (along with /etc/sysctl.d) and put your config file there in a "Xorg" fashion: which means, the configurations are numbered like "50-sysctl.conf" and the smaller the number the greater the priority.

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … figuration for further details.

You will tell us later whether netctl will still get in your way.

#3 2018-01-25 16:39:12

starfry

Re: [SOLVED] Can I enable temporary IPv6 Addresses with netctl ?

After I RTFM (man 5 sysctl.d) I created "/etc/sysctl.d/99-network.conf" with the content

net.ipv6.conf.br0.use_tempaddr=2

That worked fine. The problem I had before was the name of the file I used ("/etc/sysctl.d/ipv6.conf"). Changing that to /etc/sysctl.d/99-network.conf" ensured my settings were applied after all settings in "/usr/lib/sysctl.d" and therefore took precedence.

I did think that using `all` instead of `br0` would also work but it didn't.

It's a shame it can't be configured in a netctl profile because it leaves one more thing to remember sad

Marking solved.

Board footer