You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-03 18:31:06

Treize.k

DHCP client not working

Ok here is the scenario:

I have a laptop with an up to date Arch installation, at home I use a static ip with my router which still has dhcp enabled for some other desktops.
Now at work I needed to use DHCP, so i reconfigured rc.conf to say eth0="dhcp". But it never got an ip address, it always fails. When I checked with ethereali could see the outgoing dhcp packet but no response from the server, the cable and server were clean because all was well under Windows. I tried both dhcpcd and dhclient but no luck with either.

I then compared the packets under windows and arch and came to the conclusion that the only noticeable difference is that the DHCP message type is "DHCP Request" under Windows and for some reason is "DHCP Discover" under arch (there's a binary difference in the packet and thats the way ethereal names the types). Now i'm wondering why the hell does it do that? Why can't dhcpcd and dhclient send a normal dhcp request? Am I missing something really obvious here? Because Dhcp is making me look like an idiot :S And I really need to get online under Linux for work.

Any help is appreciated. Thx.

EDIT: I also have Arch on my desktop, and just tried it using dhcp there, and it works fine. It might be worth mentioning that my desktop is rather out-of-date when it comes to packages while my laptop is prettymuch up-to-date. And yup the packet type is also "Dhcp Request" when i try it on my desktop instead of "Dhcp Discover".. weird.

#2 2006-07-03 19:01:00

Treize.k

Re: DHCP client not working

Update: Dhcpcd wasn't updated, there is no version difference between the version on my desktop and my laptop, so maybe its a kernel thing?

#3 2006-07-10 14:59:09

Treize.k

Re: DHCP client not working

Solved: Was a driver problem, if you have a broadcom wired ethernet chipset, you need the driver from broadcom because the kernel has some kind of reversed driver built in and it doesn't work properly.

Board footer