You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-24 20:00:12

wfleming

GLX/OpenGL not working: "X Error of failed request: BadValue"

At some point in the last few months, OpenGL/GLX stopped working on my system, and I haven't been able to identify what caused the breakage or how to fix it.

Even just running `glxinfo` fails with a fairly obscure error:

[~]  glxinfo
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  35
  Current serial number in output stream:  36

Any program I try to start that uses OpenGL also fails with similarly general errors, e.g. zoom and alacritty.

Xorg.0.log: https://pastebin.com/nqvChff6
dmesg: https://pastebin.com/2mWu1wyh

The most relevant post I manage to find here on the forums was this one: the symptoms described there seem to match mine, but unfortunately none of the discussed resolutions there seem to have had an impact for me. Things I've tried:

- I already had intel-ucode installed
- I tried reinstalling intel-ucode, mesa, xorg, and xf86-video-intel driver
- I tried *removing* intel-ucode just because
- Reinstall every package via `pacman -Qnq | pacman -S -` (which is what seemed to finally work for johnabs).

System details: this is a Thinkpad T560. Graphics hardware/driver details from `lspci`:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 520 (rev 07)
        Subsystem: Lenovo Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

Any advice or help identifying where I went astray and how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by wfleming (2018-02-24 22:24:23)

#2 2018-02-24 22:10:16

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: GLX/OpenGL not working: "X Error of failed request: BadValue"

Have you been doing any updates at all since 2016?

wfleming wrote:

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
[    76.827] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[    76.828] Build Operating System: Linux 4.5.4-1-ARCH x86_64
[    76.828] Current Operating System: Linux thor 4.6.4-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 11 19:12:32 CEST 2016 x86_64

Your system is way way out of date, the first step would be updating it and then check if things work. Mind you that it will not be easy to update that system in one go, you will most probably have to use the Arch Linux Archive [1] to be able to do the updates until you bring the system up-to-date enough to use the "regular" mirrors.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive

Edit:
While looking at your dmesg it seems you are running kernel 4.15.5 so you got the wrong (and outdated) xorg.log.

Last edited by R00KIE (2018-02-24 22:12:30)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2018-02-24 22:35:06

wfleming

Thanks R00KIE, that was a dumb mistake on my part: I wasn't thinking & grabbed a super old Xorg log from /var/log when I should have grabbed the one in ~/.local/share/xorg. I was just grepping the log for video-driver related stuff, and foolishly didn't check the log's access time or the version details. I usually run pacman -Syu a few times a week, so I'd be surprised if I was running anything very out of date. My Xorg is actually 1.19.6, which looks to be up to date with the most recent packages.

I edited my original post to fix the Xorg log link to the correct one: it's at https://pastebin.com/nqvChff6.

#4 2018-02-24 23:55:49

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Which desktop environment are you using and how are you launching it?

This

thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to get root window: XError

seems to imply that something is borked in your environment. What's the output of 'env'?

R00KIE

#5 2018-02-25 00:42:20

wfleming

I use xmonad (0.13), and launch X via startx manually. My xinitrc is is at https://github.com/wfleming/dotfiles/bl … me/xinitrc, if its contents might be interesting, although it's pretty basic.

This is my ENV:

COLORFGBG=15;0
COLORTERM=rxvt
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
DISPLAY=:0
EDITOR=nvim
GNUPGHOME=/home/will/.config/gnupg
GO15VENDOREXPERIMENT=1
GOPATH=/home/will/src/golang
GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module
HOME=/home/will
INVOCATION_ID=9ce703b14924448a9c49eb726e04874b
JOURNAL_STREAM=9:19317
KEYTIMEOUT=1
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LOGNAME=will
LS_COLORS=:di=00;33:di=00;33:di=00;33
MAIL=/var/spool/mail/will
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
OLDPWD=/home/will/.local/share/xorg
PAGER=less
PATH=.bundle/bin:/home/will/.rbenv/shims:/home/will/bin:/home/will/local/bin:.bundle/bin:/home/will/.rbenv/shims:/home/will/bin:/home/will/local/bin:.bundle/bin:/home/will/.rbenv/shims:/home/will/bin:/home/will/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/will/src/golang/bin:/home/will/src/golang/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/default/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/will/src/golang/bin
PWD=/home/will/.local/share/xorg
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
RBENV_SHELL=zsh
SHELL=/usr/bin/zsh
SHLVL=7
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/ssh-agent.socket
TERM=screen-256color
TMUX=/tmp/tmux-1000/default,1712,0
TMUX_PANE=%2
USER=will
WINDOWID=16777225
WINDOWPATH=1
XAUTHORITY=/home/will/.Xauthority
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SESSION_ID=c1
XDG_VTNR=1
_=/usr/bin/env
_JAVA_AWT_WM_NONREPARENTING=1

Thanks for taking the time to look at these symptoms and offer your advice, R00KIE.

#6 2018-02-25 12:22:19

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I don't see anything obvious that could be wrong.

From your xorg.log it seems that you don't have any extra/custom configuration files, but if you have try to rename/move them, restart X and see if it works. You could try to remove xf86-video-intel and restart X and see if it works but I doubt it will make any difference.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to try 'LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo' and see if any of the extra output might provide any further clues to the problem. Except for this I'm afraid you will have to wait until someone else chimes in and tries to help.

R00KIE

#7 2018-02-25 17:51:09

wfleming

From your xorg.log it seems that you don't have any extra/custom configuration files, but if you have try to rename/move them, restart X and see if it works

I do have a config file specifying driver options for X: I've tried removing it & restarting X and it made no difference.

You could try to remove xf86-video-intel and restart X and see if it works but I doubt it will make any difference.

Unfortunately your expectation was correct, and this had no effect either. One interesting thing that did come up from this was that on re-installing xf86-video-intel I saw a post install message I hadn't noticed before suggesting that setting the "DRI" option for the display adapter in the X config might be a necessary fallback in some cases. I tried setting that option, as well as the fallback "AccelMethod", but unfortunately this didn't have any effect. Anyway, looking more closely at the git logs on the package, the version when the DRI 3 as default change went in was back in 2016, so that's probably a red herring here.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to try 'LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo' and see if any of the extra output might provide any further clues to the problem.

The output of glxinfo with the LIBGL_DEBUG env set is, unfortunately, identical to what it is without that env. To me, what I've been seeing seems like my system believes my hardware has zero support for GLX/DRI at all, and attempts to interact with those subsystems fail out extremely early. OpenGL was definitely working at some point, so I'll keep poking to see if I can figure out what I might have changed. Thank you for your suggestions, R00KIE, sorry none of them have panned out yet.

#8 2018-02-25 20:02:07

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

What's the output of 'pacman -Dk'? You might also want to run 'pacman -Qkk' and check if there are missing or corrupt files.

My only guess is that you are either missing some dependency or something got corrupted.

R00KIE

#9 2018-02-27 14:01:50

Lone_Wolf

Post lspci -k and a dmesg / journal log .

These type of errors are often caused by a mismatch between llvm/clang versions used at buildtime and installed ones.
what is the output of pacman -Qs llvm ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer