You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-05 20:54:32

deafeningsylence

Re: [SOLVED] Slow networkspeed - below 300KiB, duplex-mismatch

The only udev rule I could find in /etc/udev/rules.d/ was one for my keyboard (so that its lighting stops blinking all the time due to a lack of driver support). Here is the content, I do not see it interfering with anything network related:

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c336", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g213-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c330", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g410-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c33a", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g413-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c333", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g610-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c338", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g610-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c331", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g810-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c337", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g810-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c32b", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g910-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c335", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/g910-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile"                                                                                       
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c339", MODE="666" RUN+="/usr/bin/gpro-led -p /etc/g810-led/profile" 

#27 2018-03-05 21:08:35

deafeningsylence

EDIT: I guess it's better to let wireshark judge this.

Here is the wireshark output https://imgur.com/a/H9ZLc. I censored it a bit, maybe it is overly cautious but you never know.

When I start twitch i get a shitload of these red lines and a lot more of the black ones, without streaming just the black ones occur occasionally.

The red lines are all to the same IP, so I figure it is the twitch server.

Edit1: Okay the red lines are now gone, the ip is back though when continuing streaming, probably wireshark just categorised as somehow new and made them red I do not know, the black ones remain though and more frequently during twitch. And yes, I do not know much about wireshark.

Edit2: Ehh... okay the next update, apparently me plugging directly into the router did make a difference, at least now I do not have any lag anymore despite auto-negotiation being still off. Thus, the 7 year old network switch might after all have been a problem of some sort. So these black packges (look like some TCP fail) are no problem after all?

Last edited by deafeningsylence (2018-03-05 21:18:16)

#28 2018-03-05 21:16:40

lo1

TCP based streaming: what a delight. The red lines you are seeing were indeed TCP resets.

ACKs are nothing to worry about, but those "RST" means like asking a person "can you repeat it" only after earing the first sound of a whole monologue.

#29 2018-03-05 21:21:50

deafeningsylence

lo1 wrote:

TCP based streaming: what a delight. The red lines you are seeing were indeed TCP resets.

ACKs are nothing to worry about, but those "RST" means like asking a person "can you repeat it" only after earing the first sound of a whole monologue.

That explanation helps, thus, the RSTs stopped happening for now though, with no apparent reason and they did appear when I already removed the old switch, so he cannot be involved. Also ever since they disappeared the lag disappeared.

A side question, I suppose TCP streaming sucks and UDP is the way to go? Can I do anything about that or is that just Twitch being Twitch...

#30 2018-03-05 21:35:44

lo1

ever since they disappeared the lag disappeared

Makes sense, since the link is not suffering from heavy congestion anymore. You should analyze a new fresh session (will be hard) looking for the differences beetwen both full and half duplex, with and without the switch, to understand what's really happening.

Or just find a way that makes your nic work as it should, it's up to you.

I suppose TCP streaming sucks and UDP is the way to go? Can I do anything about that

Depends on the point of view: TCP is reliable but provides overhead, the opposite goes for UDP. And you can't do nothing about it unless you want to switch to another stream service.

#31 2018-03-05 21:45:01

deafeningsylence

Makes sense, since the link is not suffering from heavy congestion anymore. You should analyze a new fresh session (will be hard) looking for the differences beetwen both full and half duplex, with and without the switch, to understand what's really happening.

Or just find a way that makes your nic work as it should, it's up to you.

Oh boy, well I suppose I learn how to wireshark then, for now I am too tired though, I will give this a shot tomorrow. Thanks for lending me your expertise lo1, much appreciated!

I am so confused by now, first the auto-negotiation felt like making a massive difference and now it streams on 1080p60 without any issue but auto-neg. off. The switch is the one major thing that changed in terms of hardware in the whole configuration, I will examine its role more closely.

And when auto-negotiation should be on per default and is on the arch iso from which I installed this system I also need to find out what disables it.

#32 2018-03-05 22:01:27

progandy

I am so confused by now, first the auto-negotiation felt like making a massive difference and now it streams on 1080p60 without any issue but auto-neg. off. The switch is the one major thing that changed in terms of hardware in the whole configuration, I will examine its role more closely.

I guess the connection router <-> switch could be full duplex, while the connection switch <-> computer is half duplex and the switch might have some problems with this configuration. If you connect directly, the router cannot auto-negotiate full duplex and uses half duplex just like your computer and you get no problems.

And when auto-negotiation should be on per default and is on the arch iso from which I installed this system I also need to find out what disables it.

Some configuration in /usr/lib/systemd/network, /run/systemd/network, or /etc/systemd/network? There should be some files in the /usr/lib/ location, but none of them should contain Duplex or AutoNegotiate options.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#33 2018-03-05 22:13:13

deafeningsylence

I guess the connection router <-> switch could be full duplex, while the connection switch <-> computer is half duplex and the switch might have some problems with this configuration. If you connect directly, the router cannot auto-negotiate full duplex and uses half duplex just like your computer and you get no problems.

That does make sense, I will consider it when I have a closer look at the wireshark traffic of the different configurations.

Some configuration in /usr/lib/systemd/network, /run/systemd/network, or /etc/systemd/network? There should be some files in the /usr/lib/ location, but none of them should contain Duplex or AutoNegotiate options.

There was no file that contained anything regarding auto-neogtiation in the directories you suggested. I did not check the ones in /usr/lib though since they are soo many.

#34 2018-03-05 22:29:27

progandy

deafeningsylence wrote:

There was no file that contained anything regarding auto-neogtiation in the directories you suggested. I did not check the ones in /usr/lib though since they are soo many.

I meant /usr/lib/systemd/network, so no worries.

By the way, I think you should be able to use it to enable auto-negotiation instead of your custom script.

printf "%s\n" "[Link]" "AutoNegotiation=yes" >/etc/systemd/network/10-autonegotiate.link

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#35 2018-03-05 22:41:41

deafeningsylence

Man GUIs are truly a love hate relationship, after searching the forum a bit for specifically 'auto-negotiation', I found a thread with a similar issue where in the end a setting in Network Manager caused the issue, here is a picture:

I will restart now and see if this persists and if in the end networkmanager was the issue.

Edit: Yup, now auto negotiate persists, thus now putting back the switch should also work because all connections are full duplex then, I will check that tomorrow.

Edit2: I cannot believe networkmanager screwed me over, the likely scenario is that I played around with some settings during my recent VPN/DNS tinkering and accidentally ticked away auto-negotiation and then applied the settings with some others that I actually intended.

Last edited by deafeningsylence (2018-03-05 22:53:04)

Board footer