You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-09 02:02:49

jonathanleslie

when to install intel-ucode n how to enable microcode updates[SOLVED]

hello every one, i'm trying to make another attempt to re-install arch on my laptop using instructions from wiki

i'm just a simple guy trying to understand something.. not so simple

recently i got stuck here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=235093

now i want to know what this part means https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … oot_loader

1. when should i install this intel-ucode, is it during the arch installation or after? i notice it points to an aur package
2. i notice the microcode updates section mention grub and systemd .. are these both done ro should i just pick one - oh and is updating these microcodes done during arch installation or after?

my laptop is EFI, intel I3, uses nvidia graphic and i use wifi to connect

again, i'm just a newbie

thanks everyone

Last edited by jonathanleslie (2018-03-29 03:09:58)

#2 2018-03-09 02:23:42

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: when to install intel-ucode n how to enable microcode updates[SOLVED]

It does not point to an AUR package, and you should generally install it if you have a modern intel CPU. Be aware that "i3" is an useless descriptor to determine that, always state the complete model number.

"during or after installation" is not really a well defined state. However if you followed the guide up to that point you will already have "installed" Arch (after the pacstrap and the arch-chroot you are, for all intents and purposes, using your installed Arch, even though you didn't formally reboot into it yet) 

The systemd-boot or grub part are just examples. You have to use the method that is relevant to the actual boot loader you have installed, i.e. what you did before reaching the line about the microcodes.

Updating of these microcodes happens on every boot, which is why you have to adjust your bootloader config to load them (they are only stored temporarily on the CPU and are lost when it loses power) .

Last edited by V1del (2018-03-09 02:26:36)

#3 2018-03-09 23:50:26

jonathanleslie

It does not point to an AUR package, and you should generally install it if you have a modern intel CPU. Be aware that "i3" is an useless descriptor to determine that, always state the complete model number.

i'm pretty sure when i click on intel-ucode from the installation guide it brings me to the AUR package page, so i was wondering if it should be installed during the installation or after I boot into my boot loader

"during or after installation" is not really a well defined state. However if you followed the guide up to that point you will already have "installed" Arch (after the pacstrap and the arch-chroot you are, for all intents and purposes, using your installed Arch, even though you didn't formally reboot into it yet)

haha.. then maybe.. the right way to say it is BEFORE rebooting into my loader or AFTER rebooting into my boot loader

if its before, then how (what command) to install it, if its after, then should i assume it can be installed the normal way to install another aur package?

The systemd-boot or grub part are just examples. You have to use the method that is relevant to the actual boot loader you have installed, i.e. what you did before reaching the line about the microcodes.

i use gnome..

#4 2018-03-09 23:55:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That's not the AUR package page, that's the official repository package site.

The wiki page makes it unambiguously clear how to install and configure it.

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2018-03-15 00:36:59

jonathanleslie

ok then. thanks

#6 2018-03-15 00:47:07

loqs

If the issue is resolved please mark it as such by editing the first post in the thread and prepending [SOLVED] to the title.
If it is not please document the steps you have taken including the commands you have executed and the outputs generated.

jonathanleslie wrote:

i use gnome..

You are asked which boot loader you use and you respond with the name of a desktop environment which is a somewhat confusing response.

Board footer