You are not logged in.

#26 2018-05-02 07:49:57

beachcoder

Re: Fontconfig related problem after last update

Hi there,

I'm having a similar problem, but only with Telegram (telegram-desktop). The program is not coming up, also after waiting about 10 minutes. I then installed, as described above, fontconfig 2.12.6. Just installing fontconfig 2.12.6 immediatelly helped telegram to come up, but other programs like firefox or chromium where not able to start anymore then. Doing the way with downgrading, copying font files, and updating didn't take any effect. So I upgraded to the latest fontconfig again, and got stuck with this problem for now.  I'm not sure why this problem only happens on one of my two Arch Linux boxes, the other one is even up-to-date with all packages and telegram still has no problems to start... so, any more idea, or should I file a bug?

#27 2018-05-02 08:58:59

bernd_b

beachcoder wrote:

... two Arch Linux boxes ... one is even up-to-date with all packages and telegram still has no problems to start... so, any more idea, or should I file a bug?

If it worked on one PC but not on another, I would try to search for the differences (installed packages/ config files) until you know what leads to the failure you have on the other PC.

#28 2018-05-03 09:25:24

beachcoder

bernd_b wrote:
beachcoder wrote:

... two Arch Linux boxes ... one is even up-to-date with all packages and telegram still has no problems to start... so, any more idea, or should I file a bug?

If it worked on one PC but not on another, I would try to search for the differences (installed packages/ config files) until you know what leads to the failure you have on the other PC.

Well, but they use different graphics card, the one is a laptop and the other a desktop-pc - so I don't think its a benefit to install missing packages just to find the needle in the haystack.
Isn't there a better solution to islolate the problem, especially because it works when I downgrade fontconfig?

Edit: I think this is the same problem faced in this issue on GitHub, see https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop/issues/4543

Last edited by beachcoder (2018-05-03 09:43:46)

Board footer