You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 14:36:09

sanjaychak01

Line-in recording

I have a Dell Latitude 3540 with a single audio port. In WIndows when I plug in a jack, I get to tell Windows whether I plugged in a headset, a mic, a headphone, or a Line-in.

On Arch, when I plug in a jack, I am asked Headset/Headphone/Mic, but no Line-in.

How can I get Line-in on Linux?

Audio device is "Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)"

#2 2018-05-03 16:51:21

sanjaychak01

Re: Line-in recording

So no line-in in linux then?

#3 2018-05-03 18:10:27

NoSuck
Website

When I plug in an audio device on Arch, I am asked nothing.  Because I don't use the same software as you do.  In other words, please specify your DE, etc.

In any case, the only difference between line-in and mic is gain--which can be adjusted via the system mixer (e.g. alsamixer).

#4 2018-05-03 18:28:14

sanjaychak01

I am using Gnome.

#5 2018-05-03 18:42:40

V1del
Forum Moderator

It's still entirely unclear what your issue or your end goal is. Line-ins are usually accessible, I assume you are using pulseaudio, what is the output of

aplay -l
amixer -c$insert cardindex from aplay -l
pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-sinks
pacmd list-sources

what do you intend to do once you've found "the line-in"?

#6 2018-05-03 19:02:56

sanjaychak01

What I want is to record the output from an amplifier using my laptop. Since amps have Line-Out, I need a matching Line-In.

I ran the commands you mentioned. The output is at https://ptpb.pw/QLma. From whatever I see, there is no Line-in.

#7 2018-05-03 19:36:04

V1del
Forum Moderator

You might be able to retask the jack with hdajackretask (install alsa-tools), if necessary. However you might still want to try if the mic control doesn't already suffice for your purposes.

For hdajackretask to properly work you will have to make sure that nothing is occupying the soundcard and temporarily disable pulseaudio using the commands

systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket #unmask to reenable
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio

#8 2018-05-03 21:09:09

NoSuck
Website

sanjaychak01 wrote:

Since amps have Line-Out, I need a matching Line-In.

Again, the only difference between “line-in” and “mic” is the gain level.  You said it yourself:  Your laptop only has one audio jack.  When Windows asks if you want to treat that one audio jack as “line-in”, it does not magically make new hardware inside your computer.  It simply lowers the gain level.  Turn the “Headphone” (or “Internal” or whatever device you're using) “Mic Boost” device all the way down and try recording.

By the way, Arch has a pro-audio mailing list that you might enjoy (if you don't already).

#9 2018-05-04 04:38:39

sanjaychak01

NoSuck wrote:
sanjaychak01 wrote:

Since amps have Line-Out, I need a matching Line-In.

Again, the only difference between “line-in” and “mic” is the gain level.  You said it yourself:  Your laptop only has one audio jack.  When Windows asks if you want to treat that one audio jack as “line-in”, it does not magically make new hardware inside your computer.  It simply lowers the gain level.  Turn the “Headphone” (or “Internal” or whatever device you're using) “Mic Boost” device all the way down and try recording.

By the way, Arch has a pro-audio mailing list that you might enjoy (if you don't already).

That would not work. Pre-amp out levels from amps are not adjustable. They will be in the 1 volt range, whereas Mic-in accepts millivolts, and will simply get saturated. I have tried giving a headphone out (levels similar to line out) from my laptop to a mic-in in an amp, and even if I use the least possible volume on the laptop, the sound from the amp is harsh and lacks several frequencies. I am not sure if there are two input circuits within the laptop, and it switches between the two for Mic-in/Line-in. It may not just be a  difference in level.

#10 2018-05-04 07:26:35

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

NoSuck wrote:

Again, the only difference between “line-in” and “mic” is the gain level.

No. There is a significant voltage difference between the 2 inputs. You can't turn a mic input down low enough to avoid distortion from the higher voltage.

NoSuck wrote:

When Windows asks if you want to treat that one audio jack as “line-in”, it does not magically make new hardware inside your computer.

I believe there is actually 2 different hardware circuits, that are switched in software. I can't find any reference for this at a quick Google though.

#11 2018-05-04 08:14:40

sanjaychak01

fukawi2 wrote:

I believe there is actually 2 different hardware circuits, that are switched in software. I can't find any reference for this at a quick Google though.

I would presume so as well. Maybe the default linux driver does not support the Line-in option. Or is it something I can add using some config file, I wonder!

#12 2018-05-04 08:32:46

V1del
Forum Moderator

V1del wrote:

You might be able to retask the jack with hdajackretask (install alsa-tools), if necessary. However you might still want to try if the mic control doesn't already suffice for your purposes.

For hdajackretask to properly work you will have to make sure that nothing is occupying the soundcard and temporarily disable pulseaudio using the commands

systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket #unmask to reenable
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio

Also FWIW, post the output of alsa-info.sh

Last edited by V1del (2018-05-04 08:34:51)

#13 2018-05-04 08:34:04

sanjaychak01

V1del wrote:
V1del wrote:

Will try and post results

#14 2018-05-04 11:18:01

sanjaychak01

V1del wrote:

Also FWIW, post the output of alsa-info.sh

Output of alsa-info.sh at https://ptpb.pw/Xa1i

Board footer