You are not logged in.

#1 2018-05-26 14:54:27

valgio

[SOLVED]Network Manager issue

Hi guys
Some days ago i met this problem. I installed NetworkManager using pacman on KDE Plasma5 and i ran it using systemctl. It has started to work fine. Before did other checks i rebooted the system. (obviously i enabled the NetworkManager service).
When the system was up i could see on the right the icon of network manager looking for a network.
Here the problem from the moment after the connection up i could't launch any application.
I tried to launch terminal but a warning window with this sentence "KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/konsole'" appears.
I checked the journal and i found

new-host konsole[4658]: Could not connect to any X display.

I also realized that i just couldn't launch apps. But those launched before were still running.
So i disabled NetworkManager, launched terminal and enabled NetworkManager. I tried to launch some apps like chromium or spotify from terminal but this warning occured:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

I found that this problem starts when connection is up. If i put the system offline everything turns out well.
I also tried to delete NetworkManager and reinstall it from scratch but it gives me the same problem.
I tried to figure out how Xserver works (very nice lecture) but i didn't found nothing usefull.

Finally i decided to ask here wink

Last edited by valgio (2018-05-26 16:49:17)

#2 2018-05-26 15:04:55

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]Network Manager issue

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2018-05-26 16:48:43

valgio

I didn't have /etc/hostname

Woow.. i would never have figured out...

Can you pls explain me quickly why? And thank a lot!!

#4 2018-05-26 22:21:34

c00ter

valgio wrote:

I didn't have /etc/hostname

Woow.. i would never have figured out...

Can you pls explain me quickly why? And thank a lot!!

You must have skipped that portion when you installed Arch per the Wiki. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … figuration

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

Board footer