#6326 2018-06-19 11:29:38

Visione

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi all!!!, I think i found my new home!

#6327 2018-06-20 15:25:09

Filip98

Hello smile
Installed Arch cuz i wanted to learn more about controlling my OS and to have more up to date packages tongue
Heads up for Jack who sorta doesnt like me but i first heard about arch from him

#6328 2018-06-21 14:26:38

Pol_M

Well, I've been a member of this distro for a few months (maybe a year?) but I've never made an account to the forum. So yeah. Linux rocks. Arch rocks.

Have a nice day! smile

#6329 2018-06-21 19:41:23

searedvandal
Website

Hello world!

Finally got around to signing up. Been using Arch Linux on and off for a couple of years now. Consider myself a hobbyist. Enjoy breaking stuff. Problem for me has been that my arch installs usually don't break.

Seared Vandal

#6330 2018-06-24 11:14:15

Fenix27

Hello Archers cool.

#6331 2018-06-25 15:44:39

dsl45

Hello, I am using arch for some weeks now and I am completely in passion with it, the system is very robust and works fine besides some issues I am facing to install another interface, but is with the issues that we learn isn't it?

#6332 2018-06-26 00:10:02

DasRohr

Hi there!

I am using Linux for some years now on a daily basis. Mostly using xUbuntu/Ubuntu or SUSE.
but I never made it to try Arch ... always just read about it in Forums and Social Platforms like Devrant.

But finally after a while I gave my self a kick and gave it a try. And I have to admit I am quiet satisfied!
Really appreciate the wide range of options I got - although some may say, that you can manage an ubuntu in the same way. But I never had the feeling to understand what my system does and never REALLY hat the need to think about what I set up or how I set it up.
Good example:
after installing Arch, I plugged in my USB Drive and was totally flashed that .... nothing heppened big_smile
In ubuntu (or most other distros as well of course) ... 80% of the things just work out of the box and you never think about them, which is OK i guess for most of the users - but this has the down side of shipping tons of thing you most likely do not really need.

So really appreciate that Arch forces you to think about and understand your system smile

And I think one of the best thinks so far about Arch is the Community here ... Already received help from some of you here to get some things running - just awesome !!!
You will definitely see me around from now on wink

#6333 2018-06-27 15:42:54

jarlah

I have used many different operating systems the last 20 years. Been playing with Red Hat in dual boot with win 98 and stuff. Thats many years ago. I think its at least 10-15 years ago.

I've used windows 95, 98, xp, 2000, vista, 7, 8 and 10. I have been using macbook for a while, but that felt like a frickin jail.

Now I am running Arch Linux, after I tried to go closer to the machinery by going to debian from ubuntu, only to find that debian just complicates all things by having its free software policy.

Arch Linux makes me alert when upgrading. If you are not alert when upgrading Arch, I think you should not use Arch. Simple.

This will be my daily driver for a long time.

Oh and I used a curses script for installing arch, called archfi. And have installed arch-update plugin to gnome shell, to notify me when there is updates.

Last edited by jarlah (2018-06-27 15:44:24)

#6334 2018-06-28 01:44:20

Kelberhan

Hello!
So much to read.. so much to try!

#6335 2018-06-28 07:39:33

SanskritFritz
Website

jarlah wrote:

And have installed arch-update plugin to gnome shell, to notify me when there is updates.

That is totally unnecessary, since there is an upgrade every single day big_smile

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#6336 2018-06-28 14:24:43

Slithery
Administrator

jarlah wrote:

Oh and I used a curses script for installing arch, called archfi.

Please note that this means you can't come to the forums for support, the only supported installation method is to follow the wiki.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6337 2018-06-28 15:59:08

budaria

Hello,
I was fed up with some packages not available, some being too old on my debian stretch and moved here.

Last edited by budaria (2018-06-28 15:59:31)

#6338 2018-07-01 12:39:03

FulCon

So nice to finally be here. Hello to everyone. I'm 19 and have some experience on Windows and Mint. Ben delaying this for a whille.

I've got Arch installed few days back. Not sure if it counts as official way to install if I followed someone dozen sources online.

It was quiet a bit of fun. One website for install of base system. One to install grub.
Than hell happened, installed Xorg and couldn't get GUI installed. Turned out missed some packages.

I was switching from Windows to Mint for a wile. Mostly one is good for games and other feels better.
Windows killed the fun and Mint, well somehow  I always end up deleting something that handles GUI and never rely could figure how to fix it. If it's not a challenge it's no fun, went for plasma minimal install on the first go. big_smile Thought could try Arch to see how it works behind all those shiny programs they give.

Turns out with all it's troubles, mostly because of me, Arch feels rely nice (Still getting used to us keyboard layout). For some weird reason ifconfig was missing so I copied it from live boot system.
I'm also interested in programming so I hope I can get my fingers into something here to, help maybe even.

Last edited by FulCon (2018-07-01 12:42:41)

Arch user since 2018.

#6339 2018-07-01 20:37:16

Lone_Wolf

Ifconfig is deprecated, it's successor is ip , see  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Core_utilities#ip

so I copied it from live boot system.

If that means :
I found the ifconfig*.pkg.tar.xz on the iso , copied that to my installation and used pacman -U to install it : great.

If it means anything else, revert and install ifconfig through pacman.

Welcome to Arch Linux

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6340 2018-07-05 20:48:09

MayhemWithMercy

Just installed Arch as a dual boot system with Mint.
Ik dual booting 2 distros might seem pointless, but it will help me to learn linux enough to use it full time over windows I think.

Mint is my go-to stable OS, and Arch is my so called "testing playground" so to speak. Planning to install multiple de's wm's, rices, etc. Starting with KDE for now.
If anything goes awry in my Arch, I have a stable OS to fallback on smile

Last edited by MayhemWithMercy (2018-07-05 20:50:55)

#6341 2018-07-05 22:38:31

Enrico1989

Hello Archers,

I had never used any OS but Windows before 2015, when I started the Ph.D.. In that period I started using a Mac, then moved to Linux. Specifically I used Ubuntu on a couple of PCs, and Mint on another.

Finally I installed Arch a few weeks ago (oh, maybe it's sensibly more that one month now). I'm finding Arch interesting, since it seems like I can have the control of almost every single part of the system; even if it's not easy, it is quite rewarding to find a solution to the problems I come by. Nevertheless, difficulties sometimes seem insurmountable, and that's why I signed up this forum; indeed, since I made the not-so-great choice of impacting both on Arch and on i3 at the same time (but I haven't given up yet), I need your help and I hope you'll help me to feel more and more confident with Arch.

Hello to everyone, again

Enrico

#6342 2018-07-07 16:10:14

neamerjell
Website

After being spoon fed with Ubuntu and Raspbian, I started looking for a more "tinkerer-friendly" distro. I found Arch and it was about as close as I could (comfortably?) get to making my own distro. Linux From Scratch was just way too far down the rabbit hole for me.

It took a few tries, but I finally got it installed properly - I hope... So far, there hasn't been any question I have had that was not in the Wiki or Google. Props to all who maintain the Wiki! Y'all keep up the good work!

"Arch doesn't automatically upgrade the system for you, so it won't just break out of nowhere." - Xyne, Forum Moderator

^^^ This is my current favorite feature! Ubuntu would randomly update and would greet me with a black screen upon the next boot, forcing a tedious re-install of my nVidia graphics driver.

"To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer!" - unknown

#6343 2018-07-10 20:58:20

sophia

Hey all,

I have been running a Debian server for almost five years now as a hobby (mostly Plex, Apache, various game servers for friends/family, and some projects just for fun/learning purposes). I have been using ElementaryOS as my daily driver (I switched from OSX about two years ago to Linux full time and Elementary eased the transition - I used OSX to transition myself from Windows...I guess you could say). Anyway, I'm retired now so I have a lot of extra time on my hands and would really like to get my hands dirty with Linux. A friend recommended Arch for someone looking to really dig in but who is not yet ready for the LFS project/book(?) (I plan on doing it for fun, and very slowly as a learning exercise but I have no intention on making a distribution etc at this point in time beyond what Arch allows/encourages at least for now). Decided to register so I can learn from others and ask questions when I can't figure it out on my own (since this is mostly a hobby for me I enjoy the tinkering aspect and hints over 'how to's').  I'm excited to actually start learning Linux and not just using it. I worked for many years as a PHP developer, but I've recently been brushing up on C/C++ in hopes of truly starting to get involved in some fun projects instead of letting myself get lazy and rusty (Linux seems to be a good community for this!).

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and say hey.

- Sophia

#6344 2018-07-10 21:27:38

wayne6260
Website

Hi. I'm new to Arch, having started working on it yesterday and finally getting everything up and running today. I've read the Wiki guidelines to posting in the forums as well as some of the history of Arch.

I'm 65 years old and remember the time when there was no world wide web and before that no Internet, and in the last 20 years when I started with Red Hat, I've used just about every Linux distro, and even used OS2 back in the day. In all that time, I knew nothing about Linux - more or less. I just didn't trust my other options and I admired the general Linux philosophy. I can't name how many distros I've used over the years, from Arch based ones, to RPM based ones, to DEB based ones, Slackware and Gentoo based ones, but never did I feel the liberation I feel today having finally installed a pure Arch system. My computer "feels" lighter and boots much, much faster.

My computer is older, now. Built by my son-in-law in 2011. But I have 3 drives, an older 400GB, and two Terabyte drives. I decided to do an experiment with installing Arch on my 400 GB drive and after figuring out how to partition with fdisk and get to the point where I could reboot into my system and see a command prompt was a great achievement! My next big challenge was to figure out my older AMD graphics card, but today I figured that out, got everything working, installed XOrg and SDDM and KDE Plasma and well --- here I am. I switch from drive to drive by rebooting and re-configuring my BIOS.

On one of my terabyte drives I still have Kubuntu, and the other terabyte drive I have Sabayon. I'm sorry I didn't include them in my Arch partitioning, but I wasn't sure of myself yesterday. Now I find that Arch is my new-found love, but I still have these two big terabyte drives with not much on them other than unwanted distros. My system, as of now, has everything I need right here in Arch.

Anyway, leave that to me. I can figure out that stuff on my own. I just want to say that I finally understand something of the Arch philosophy and I am really happy with my computer. I've learned a lot in the last 24 hours. Thank you everyone for the support I received to get my system up and running! I plan to make this my new home.

I am cleverly going to say, right here and now, that I have nothing clever to say!

#6345 2018-07-10 22:16:13

dif

Nice to me you.
I'm a little younger, but I do remember a DOS prompt and the pre-Internet era.
Yes, Arch Linux does give you the feeling of freedom and the Arch-Linux keep-it-simple philosophy is great.
I'd say that Arch gives you the same benefits as Gentoo, but without the burden of ever-lasting compilations.
If you like tinkering with the system, you are going to have a lot of fun.

#6346 2018-07-10 22:32:35

wayne6260
Website

Thank you!

I am cleverly going to say, right here and now, that I have nothing clever to say!

#6347 2018-07-10 22:51:25

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Welcome wayne6260, I'm going to merge this into the official "hello everyone" thread for neatness smile

#6348 2018-07-12 09:17:42

kstef

I was using Arch for around 8 months (switched to Gentoo, but I'm gonna install Arch soon onto a USB, since I will probably need a portable OS).

I started using Arch in November(?), created an account here, so that I could ask some questions, but this is so far my second post, in the same thread btw.

Arch wiki is a great resource for newbies. Explains everything that you will need. I used it along with this forum (it turned out most of the problems I had were already explained and solver here, so I actually didn't need the account).

If you're just starting your "adventure" with Arch, the best piece of advice you can get is "RTFM". You'll be surprised how much you can do your own and learn new things at the same time. It's definitely worth it.

#6349 2018-07-14 03:18:31

plmcc01

Hello,

I'm a retired Windows Desktop and Server Sysadmin as well as an OLD, OLD, OLD MS-DOS guy.  I've been running Ubuntu in a VMware Workstation window for a couple of years but decided it was time to get my feet REALLY wet and try some actual decision making when it comes to Linux.  So, here I am . . .

Wish me luck ?!?!  smile

#6350 2018-07-14 13:46:51

Lone_Wolf

Good luck .

If you liked Norton Commander, check out Midnight Commander .

Edit:
A slightly younger MSDOs guy, my first MSDos version was 3.0 .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2018-07-14 13:47:57)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer