You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 16:59:52

irondude

Migrate VPN Settings Gnome NetworkManager

I am migrating from Debian to Arch but wanted to keep Gnome and also use the NetworkManager for convenience reasons. In my Debian machine I have a VPn setup. It shows under

/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/

and the keys are located in .cert in the homedir. So how exactly can I migrate the VPN conncetion? just rsyncing it doesn't help. I've installed all the necessary NetworkManager tools and can setup a new VPN connection just fine but I need ti import the old one.

#2 2018-07-12 14:45:48

flortsch
Website

Re: Migrate VPN Settings Gnome NetworkManager

I tried copying one of my existing VPN configurations stored in this directory, renamed the copy and gave the connection a different ID by editing the file.
After restarting the NetworkManager service, the connection was available for selection in the network settings.
Therefore, I assume that backing up and restoring these config files has to work.

However, in your case the problem could be file format differences between network manager versions, as Debian uses a different version than Arch.
Therefore, I suggest that you just manually re-create the VPN configuration in gnome.
You could then compare the new config file with the old one to see, if the created config really looks different.

Last edited by flortsch (2018-07-12 14:46:57)

Board footer