You are not logged in.

#6351 2018-07-14 17:26:52

plmcc01

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Thanks.

I appreciate the advice about Midnight Commander.  I'll definitely check it out.

P.S. MS-DOS 2.1 on an actual IBM PC XT with a 10 MEGA-byte Hard Drive and 5.25 Floppy Drive.  But, that's a long story . . .  smile .

#6352 2018-07-16 06:19:43

J.el_Metal
Banned

Hello, I am new using Arch and at the moment I am very happy!! I am from Spanish. I have learned a lot in what little I have and I hope to learn much more. A greeting.

Last edited by J.el_Metal (2018-07-16 06:20:28)

#6353 2018-07-16 06:28:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Hello thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

#6354 2018-07-16 09:35:21

Balerion

Hello everyone! smile

#6355 2018-07-16 13:40:08

StenSipma

Hello there!

My name is Sten and I am a Computing Science student.
Recently installed Arch on my new laptop and am enjoying the experience so far! I look forward to learning a lot more!

#6356 2018-07-17 17:46:30

PowPaw

Hi guys! I'm a new italian user and fan of Arch Linux, a distro which provides a great user experience. I'm really loving it big_smile
Thanks for the support!

#6357 2018-07-17 19:10:24

Sc00t

Hello! New here and looking to improve all the things as best I can. Old time Linux user but new-ish to Arch even though we use it at work.

#6358 2018-07-18 14:18:12

archimboldo

Sc00t wrote:

Old time Linux user but new-ish to Arch even though we use it at work.

Keep that job wink , welcome!

#6359 Today 15:38:08

ANx

Hi All,

For the last 15 years, I have been mostly a macOS user. Challenged my self recently to build a machine for my personal computing needs, including LAB/test on virtual environment. With those in mind, the new AMD Ryzen 7 2700 seemed very attractive, got the other parts together and assembled a computer. Last time I did this I was 18 and today I’m 40 smile

After acquiring needed hardware, the next thing to put my mind was which variation of *nix. I like simple things and being on control of my system. I hate non requested software being push to my system because someone else decided that certain bundle is a mandatory thing as a whole. I dived in into FreeBSD world that I knew from old time. Another great OS. With ZFS and Jail, my enthusiasm for learning cool stuff was back. Unfortunately, it was a very short romance, since when it comes to recent hardware FreeBSD is less flexible. It was the lack of USB3.0 disk performance while connected to onboard USB controller that ruined this premature relationship. After diving into some forums, I found out that people overcame such limitation by acquiring an USB PCI controller, something that I would not be able to do since my system is based on mini-ITX board, with a single PCI expansion slot, occupied by the graphic card. There I was on road, for another quest for proper OS.

Someone in the office told me about ArchLinux, but I was reluctant, after all, I’m not 18 anymore, have kids and limited time to dedicate to my hobbies. With such recent hardware and seeking for a combination simplicity and control, ArchLinux quickly became the next stop and here I’m, again in love.

Why do you need to know all of that? Thanks to the simplicity of this OS, yet powerful, and the absolutely fantastic ArchLinux Wiki/Forum, I managed to do the following by myself:

- Build a bootable/rescue USB stick, actually a full OS, including ZFS commands;

- Install ArchLinux on my fresh hardware with systemd-boot and root on ZFS via dkms;

- I'm enjoying wayland/weston environment;

- Giving my first steps at LXC/LXD “virtualization” as a replacement for Jail... not the same thing, but good enough;

Thank you all ArchLinux Community for putting together such valuable resources.

English is not my native language and I have being away for this kind of this way of using a computer for a while, so be patient if you see me asking silly questions or not writing proper english.

Looking forward to interact with all of you.

Board footer