You are not logged in.

#6351 2018-07-14 17:26:52

plmcc01

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Thanks.

I appreciate the advice about Midnight Commander.  I'll definitely check it out.

P.S. MS-DOS 2.1 on an actual IBM PC XT with a 10 MEGA-byte Hard Drive and 5.25 Floppy Drive.  But, that's a long story . . .  smile .

#6352 2018-07-16 06:19:43

J.el_Metal
Banned

Hello, I am new using Arch and at the moment I am very happy!! I am from Spanish. I have learned a lot in what little I have and I hope to learn much more. A greeting.

Last edited by J.el_Metal (2018-07-16 06:20:28)

#6353 2018-07-16 06:28:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Hello thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6354 2018-07-16 09:35:21

Balerion

Hello everyone! smile

#6355 2018-07-16 13:40:08

StenSipma

Hello there!

My name is Sten and I am a Computing Science student.
Recently installed Arch on my new laptop and am enjoying the experience so far! I look forward to learning a lot more!

#6356 2018-07-17 17:46:30

PowPaw

Hi guys! I'm a new italian user and fan of Arch Linux, a distro which provides a great user experience. I'm really loving it big_smile
Thanks for the support!

#6357 2018-07-17 19:10:24

Sc00t

Hello! New here and looking to improve all the things as best I can. Old time Linux user but new-ish to Arch even though we use it at work.

#6358 2018-07-18 14:18:12

archimboldo

Sc00t wrote:

Old time Linux user but new-ish to Arch even though we use it at work.

Keep that job wink , welcome!

Rules for problems.
Everyone has problems. Animals have problems. And buildings. And cats, and trees.
Problems are your friends. Treat them well.

#6359 2018-07-21 15:38:08

ANx

Hi All,

For the last 15 years, I have been mostly a macOS user. Challenged my self recently to build a machine for my personal computing needs, including LAB/test on virtual environment. With those in mind, the new AMD Ryzen 7 2700 seemed very attractive, got the other parts together and assembled a computer. Last time I did this I was 18 and today I’m 40 smile

After acquiring needed hardware, the next thing to put my mind was which variation of *nix. I like simple things and being on control of my system. I hate non requested software being push to my system because someone else decided that certain bundle is a mandatory thing as a whole. I dived in into FreeBSD world that I knew from old time. Another great OS. With ZFS and Jail, my enthusiasm for learning cool stuff was back. Unfortunately, it was a very short romance, since when it comes to recent hardware FreeBSD is less flexible. It was the lack of USB3.0 disk performance while connected to onboard USB controller that ruined this premature relationship. After diving into some forums, I found out that people overcame such limitation by acquiring an USB PCI controller, something that I would not be able to do since my system is based on mini-ITX board, with a single PCI expansion slot, occupied by the graphic card. There I was on road, for another quest for proper OS.

Someone in the office told me about ArchLinux, but I was reluctant, after all, I’m not 18 anymore, have kids and limited time to dedicate to my hobbies. With such recent hardware and seeking for a combination simplicity and control, ArchLinux quickly became the next stop and here I’m, again in love.

Why do you need to know all of that? Thanks to the simplicity of this OS, yet powerful, and the absolutely fantastic ArchLinux Wiki/Forum, I managed to do the following by myself:

- Build a bootable/rescue USB stick, actually a full OS, including ZFS commands;

- Install ArchLinux on my fresh hardware with systemd-boot and root on ZFS via dkms;

- I'm enjoying wayland/weston environment;

- Giving my first steps at LXC/LXD “virtualization” as a replacement for Jail... not the same thing, but good enough;

Thank you all ArchLinux Community for putting together such valuable resources.

English is not my native language and I have being away for this kind of this way of using a computer for a while, so be patient if you see me asking silly questions or not writing proper english.

Looking forward to interact with all of you.

#6360 2018-07-25 19:37:36

Swayland

Hi!

I grew up with linux as a child. When my dad bought a desktop running windows vista back in 2010, I accidentally clicked on something and apparently downloaded some kind of virus. After that, my dad removed windows and installed ubuntu linux for me. I ended up using ubuntu from 2nd to 7th grade.

Then in January this year, I made the switch to arch linux and ran Gnome on wayland. After frequent crashes, I switched back to Xorg and used i3wm instead.

I hope to get to know all of you!

#6361 2018-07-25 22:16:15

crumpy

Greetings and Salutations to all arch users! I'll be honest, I'm here because after many robust months of usage, I've encountered an issue! Non the less, arch is my favourite distro, and I hope I can contribute more to the forum than just asking my question in Newbie Corner. XFCE4 FTW!

#6362 2018-07-26 22:59:38

Madamisir

Hello there.
I'm Lorenzo from Italy. I just installed Arch on my gaming rig and I'm loving it.
After trying a lot of WMs I fell in love with i3 and I can say without the shadow of a doubt I'm never going back to Windows.

Looking forward to learning everything I can from you guys.

#6363 2018-07-28 08:11:31

BernardMe

Hello!

I am a Arch newbie from China, I used CentOS 6.5 last year for my Java programming work(such as  running of tomcat, MySQL, Zookeeper ), for personal , I always used Win8.1(I think it's OK).Last November, I installed Arch on my old Dell laptop and installed with xfce4 just for curiousness,now I like using if for my personal pastime.

I hope Arch can help me with my work not only for curiousness.  smile

Last edited by BernardMe (2018-07-28 08:16:08)

#6364 2018-07-30 17:03:21

l00n

Hello! I finally made the switch from manjaro to arch.

#6365 2018-08-01 03:52:29

Eneroh

Hi all, I'm Eneroh. Linux newbie. Kind of into I.T. So I've recently gotten into privacy, security and realised how lacking Microsoft were with Windows 10 and decided to make the swap to a linux distribution. After a bit of research, I decided to look more into Arch Linux, as its customisability, community and the os were interesting.

I played around with Ubuntu prior but never really cared to much for it. A little while after reading into Arch, I begun to mess with Arch through vms, firstly in Hyper-V realising there is no audio then moving to Virtual Box.

Successfullly installed Arch (the arch way) with gnome gui, a fair few times but have now decided to dual boot or maybe even ditch Windows altogether.

I'm going to be asking questions so I expect answers lol

Thanks for reading my life story.

Last edited by Eneroh (2018-08-01 03:53:16)

#6366 2018-08-03 19:06:24

jlahtela

Hi all!

Well yeah, I just want to say hello to all. Exited to explore world of Arch Linux.
I have used Linux first time at late 90s,but I have never been Linux enthusiast...  I have used it time to time for several reasons.
Sometimes at work and sometimes just for fun, but for some reason it has never stick so long with me.
Maybe because earlier I have played quite lot games... but now things are changed and I really are not so keen to Windows world anymore... except still music studio world requires it, or MAC.
At work I have also used HP UX and IBM AIX little bit, but to be honest I have never been sysadmin for those.

Anyway now I feel that I want and I need to learn more about Linux world. So I went and look what distros are out there and what is the latest word about those.
So I get interested Arch Linux... and here I am... just installing it to Hyper-V on my computer to first tryout.
When I am happy with it I will go and install it to my main computer and setup virtualization for windows so Arch linux will become my main OS.

That is anyway the plan!

#6367 2018-08-06 13:53:17

Awlex

Hello there!

I've recently installed Arch Linux on my laptop. Maybe because all of my friends already jumped the windows-ship (besides gaming). I choose a dualboot with Windows for gaming reasons.
Arch was the first linux distro I tried out on a personal maschine. Installing was pretty challenging in comparison to other distros, that ship with installers, but it was a great learning experience. My system still lots of configuration before I can call it my personal system, so you'll have to live with that when I'm posting tongue.

Before arch I was using windows and all my experince with linux came from school (XUbuntu 15/16 iirc, Raspberry PI and CentOS VMs).

I'm a developer and love that programming languages allow you to combine commands however you like with the mind (and the compiler) being the only limit. Having a system that works on a similar priciple is a blessing.

<3 Arch

#6368 2018-08-10 20:05:39

Fekinox

Aha, figure I should've probably introduced myself first.

Fairly recently started using Arch Linux as my first distro, on my first custom-built PC, and have been loving it so far. I was initially drawn to it due to how customizable it was compared to other distros, how much control I had over the look and feel, configuration, etc. Safe to say I wasn't disappointed.

#6369 2018-08-12 08:17:37

iyad83

hi to all,

im new with archlinux , im ubuntu users after that i use debian , i like archlinux with i3-gaps , it's very good , i like ubuntu but it's come with many app i don't need , with arch it's come with base, and i install only what' i need  ,

thnk's.

Last edited by iyad83 (2018-08-12 08:18:10)

#6370 2018-08-13 08:17:34

lukane

Hi,
I am pretty new to Arch Linux, well I consider myself new to GNU/Linux all together as I've only been using it for about maybe two years. Until a couple of months ago, as I guess most everyone, I used Debian/Ubuntu based distro's.
There's no going back, at least for me, as I much prefer pacman and aur over the apt and ppa stuff.
A big thanks to the guys writing the Arch Wiki, it's very helpful not only to Arch users but as a Linux resource in general.

#6371 2018-08-13 11:08:28

JustSomeGeek

Hey guys,

Almost middle-aged N00b near Helensburgh, Scotland.

Originally planned to learn Arch using a VM on CentOS desktop (Server also runs CentOS and I wanted to learn Red Hat). But most of the stuff I dabble in always seems to come back to Arch tutorials and needs bleeding-edge stuff to make it work, which is a nightmare on an enterprise OS. So, I've just dived into Arch on bare-metal instead. Only used Linux as my main desktop OS for the last few months, though I still have Win 10 on the laptop for gaming.

I had Win 10 using a GTX1080 on GPU passthrough before switching to Arch, so i'll get that back up soon. Aim is to get OSX to do the same later. Just for the lols.

I generally like to play with OS's in VM's just for fun, and enjoy collecting "historical", and obscure OS's (QNX, OS/2 etc.).

Generally enjoying the Arch learning experience, but much harder now i'm older!

#6372 2018-08-15 16:22:08

dunce345

Hey guys!

Arch is my first serious linux installation (ubuntu was my first, but didn't use it much). This forum has been of massive help! thanks to the mods and contributors to what they do!

#6373 2018-08-15 18:15:40

ceratophyllum

I just signed up with the forums because I  finally started using Arch fulltime, after years of consulting  Arch's very good wiki to solve problems on other Linux distros and even sometimes  on FreeBSD.  I thought (wrongly) that I could save time with various Arch-the-easy-way distros, but ultimately found myself doing so much removing/customizing that it is less trouble  just running Arch.

After qoud, nisi, num, and ne
All the alis drop away....

#6374 2018-08-16 10:32:33

Ribber

Hi everyone

Long time linux user (14 years) and have used most distros out there over the years, but have spent most of my time with Debian and Slackware.  Thought I'd give Arch a try as I was bored to death with a copy of Mint on one of my partitions - it's just too damn easy :-)

The install was straightforward enough and after a day I now have a system I've built pretty much from scratch that I'm happy with.  The main issue I had was getting the system to see my network printer, but once I figured out that I needed to install and start avahi everything went smoothly.

I'm no coder, and don't want to be be, but I can find my way round the command line ok.  I haven't run a bleeding edge distro for many years so I'm interested to see how stable this installation ends up being :-)

#6375 2018-08-18 12:34:52

rmblror

Hi all. I'm a long-time linux user since I started messing with it in high school. I just made the switch to Arch while starting my PhD program in physics. I was sick of running outdated software (worst of all Ubuntu 16.04 on my Chromebook pixel because that was the newest supported in crouton at the time I installed it, and upgrading within crouton is a major pain) and having to face either reinstalling and reconfiguring everything, or having unanticipated breakage during upgrades with lingering config files from aeons past. I've had a great time building up my knowledge about the inner workings of linux over the past month, and I really love that the community here pushes users to be independent and to find proper solutions and to grow over the years. I'm looking forward to having a sleek OS that stays bleeding edge and supports my studies over the coming years!

Board footer