You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-26 09:06:25

steve_waters

Fetchmail setup and confiuration

Hello

I have a fetchmail, postifx, aviasd mail gateway setup that pops our mail from our ISP.

I would like to set it up so that it will, pop every five minutes but leave the messages on the server then once a week run a cleanup fetchmail instance that will download all new messages and delete those that have been previously downloaded.

I have found the "keep" command and can do teh popping the every five mintues but I am not sure about how to do the weekly cleanup.

The reason behind this is that our ISP has a good web mail so I want people on the road to access their mail via there and then be able to sink their clients up when they return to the office.

THanks
steve

#2 2006-07-26 10:16:52

PeteMo
Website

Re: Fetchmail setup and confiuration

Maybe the -K or -F options below will do what you want.  You could run this particular instance of fetchmail once a week as a cron job.

man fetchmail wrote:

Disposal Options
<snip>

-K | --nokeep
              (Keyword: nokeep) Delete retrieved messages from the remote mailserver.  This option forces
              retrieved  mail to be deleted.  It may be useful if you have specified a default of keep in
              your .fetchmailrc.  This option is forced on with ETRN and ODMR.

-F | --flush
              POP3/IMAP only.  Delete old (previously retrieved)  messages  from  the  mailserver  before
              retrieving  new  messages.  This  option does not work with ETRN or ODMR.  Warning: if your
              local MTA hangs and fetchmail is aborted, the next time you run fetchmail, it  will  delete
              mail  that  was  never delivered to you.  What you probably want is the default setting: if
              you don't specify `-k', then fetchmail will automatically delete messages after  successful
              delivery.

#3 2006-07-26 10:53:33

steve_waters

Re: Fetchmail setup and confiuration

Ah nice the -K --nokeep looks like what I want.

Yep I could have it run as a second process, once a week to clear out the box of previously downloaded messages

many thanks pmo6022

Board footer