You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-19 09:28:32

Halikular

GRUB installtion: /boot doesn't look like an EFI partition.

As you've probably figured out by now I'm totally new to Arch and in the process of installing it.

Now, when trying to install the bootloader GRUB I ran into some problems I ran the usual installation commands and tinkered a bit with them, but nothing worked. I don't think it's important to know exactly what I did, as I think it's more relevant to note that I'm going to dual boot Arch Linux with Windows 10 and that I didn't create a new EFI Partition as I already had it, I think I also forgot to mount it after partitioning.  So that's what I think is the problem, but I don't know how to approach or the way to solve it. I've read the Wiki and searched the internet, and I've see people with the same problem but not the solution. So I would be very grateful for a step by step solution that you can provide.

#2 2018-10-19 09:59:08

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: GRUB installtion: /boot doesn't look like an EFI partition.

Welcome to the boards, Halikular.

What is your definition of "usual installation commands", which instructions did you follow?

If you want us to provide exact help it is important to post the exact steps used and the output they generated.  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855

If you've indeed done everything else correctly, you can simply mount the EFI partition and install GRUB as detailed in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GR … allation_2 and adjust the fstab of your system to add that partition manually.

Last edited by V1del (2018-10-19 10:02:06)

#3 2018-10-19 10:17:56

dif

I am not answering your question, but as you are at the very beginning of your Arch-Linux adventure, let me suggest an alternative approach.
Do not install GRUB or any other bootloader. There is a mechanism that allows Linux to start straight from UEFI (some call it BIOS).
Read this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/EFISTUB
The disadvantage is that you have to act quickly when you start your computer, but
- your computer starts faster
- in my opinion the configuration is simpler
If you decide to go this way, the configuration is the simplest if you mount the EFI system partition (ESP) to /boot.

#4 2018-10-19 10:55:33

V1del
Forum Moderator

That approach can have unforeseen consequences on improper UEFI implementations, if someone is already struggling with setting up a normal boot loader, having to deal with vendor specific gotcha's is hardly simpler.

#5 2018-10-19 14:00:46

Halikular

V1del wrote:

That approach can have unforeseen consequences on improper UEFI implementations, if someone is already struggling with setting up a normal boot loader, having to deal with vendor specific gotcha's is hardly simpler.

To me the suggestion dig gave me seems a bit more straight forward and effective since it’s handled by the UEFI instead of GRUB, but would you discourage me to do that?

#6 2018-10-19 14:10:10

V1del
Forum Moderator

You still have to have your /boot resp. EFI partition mounted at the correct place, you can do whatever but you still need to fix this, no matter for which approach you decide. The basic premise that made you start this thread is the same.

Last edited by V1del (2018-10-19 14:11:33)

#7 2018-10-19 14:28:42

Halikular

V1del wrote:

You still have to have your /boot resp. EFI partition mounted at the correct place, you can do whatever but you still need to fix this, no matter for which approach you decide. The basic premise that made you start this thread is the same.

Okay, thank you I’ll try this as soon as I get home.

#8 2018-10-20 18:05:47

Halikular

Alright, I think I've just created a headache for myself. I must have done something wrong in the installation process, and I can't seem to get it sorted out despite the articles you sent me, so I've decided to redo the installation. Also I want to apologize for my low quality post will do better next time.

Last edited by Halikular (2018-10-20 18:06:24)

#9 2018-10-21 00:42:01

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you are going to redo it anyway, I urge you to follow https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide instead of whatever you used originally, since it doesn't sound like you did from your original excerpt. If any of the steps listed there confuse you, follow the links for further reading and take your time until you know what you have to do. If it still isn't clear, you will likely be able to make a much better post since you are able to point out retraceable steps.

#10 2018-10-22 18:34:57

theGeekyLad
Website

Since you're looking at dual booting your system and are struggling with getting GRUB working fine, I guess the following steps should get you set. Before you get started, I'd recommend you have your Arch Linux rescue media (USB drive) in hand, just in case things go haywire.

This assumes you've followed the Arch Linux installation guide by the word for setting up your system and are just left with the post-installation steps (installation of bootloader, GUI environment, etc.)

# Network required here.

sudo pacman -S grub efibootmgr

# Windows Boot Manager lives at /boot/EFI and GRUB would be installed alongside, at /boot/EFI directory. This is for a 64-bit machine (change the --target argument if not).

sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB

# A reboot would present you with the GRUB but no menu entry for Windows. It's rather simple to Ctrl+C for the GRUB2 command line and type out 'exit' which would subsequently boot Windows (since your BIOS positions the erstwhile first Windows Boot Manager second and places GRUB above)

This should get you working provided you'd mounted at your /mnt and /mnt/boot, the right partitions earlier during system setup.

Board footer