You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-05 10:42:00

JustSomeGeek

mount.nfs: No such device

It no worky. :-/

I used the NFS shares on my CentOS server, from Arch before, but i've updated Arch a few times since then, so no idea when it stopped working.

Pointed me to a non-loaded kernel module, which seems to be correct:

modprobe: FATAL: Module nfsd not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.0-arch1-1-ARCH

From the Kernel Module page: "Today, all necessary modules loading is handled automatically by udev, so if you do not need to use any out-of-tree kernel modules, there is no need to put modules that should be loaded at boot in any configuration file."

So, (bearing in mind i'm still a n00b):

Why is the module not automatically loaded?
Why is it not listed in the modules dir?
Why did things work before, but not now?
What do I do to fix it? Or at least further find out anything I may have done wrong.

Thanks!

#2 2018-11-05 11:56:44

Lone_Wolf

Re: mount.nfs: No such device

$ uname -a
$ pacman -Q linux

If the outputs don't match, did you reboot after last kernel update ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2018-11-05 16:42:56

JustSomeGeek

Lone_Wolf wrote:
$ uname -a
$ pacman -Q linux

If the outputs don't match, did you reboot after last kernel update ?

Brill, thanks! Thought i'd shut down last night, as usual, but I must have just suspended and forgotten!

Is this a general issue when updating, or specific to NFS, do you know? I'd like to learn what happened, and why.

Again, thanks!

#4 2018-11-05 16:48:49

V1del
Forum Moderator

General rule when the kernel updates. Arch doesn't retain your old modules, if the kernel is removed as part of the update, all modules are removed and replaced with new ones for the installed kernel and you can't load anything that isn't already loaded.

#5 2018-11-05 16:53:58

JustSomeGeek

V1del wrote:

General rule when the kernel updates. Arch doesn't retain your old modules, if the kernel is removed as part of the update, all modules are removed and replaced with new ones for the installed kernel and you can't load anything that isn't already loaded.

Ah, that makes sense. I'd always understood that everything remained untouched until the next reboot, when everything would be switched to the new kernel. Thanks for the explanation!

Board footer