You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-14 21:12:58

drtebi

CIFS VFS: Server has not responded problem

Hello,

since my last update (Jan 12th) I am experiencing problems which appear to be related to the connection to my Samba file server. Or at least that it what I assume it is.

CIFS has been working just fine for about a year, since I set up this Arch Linux installation. Shares are mounted via fstab. The computer is using a hard-wired connection.

Now, when I am browsing files with the dolphin file manager, the entire file system gets stuck for 30 seconds, 120 seconds or more. I have been trying to look into logs via dmesg and journalctl, and the only thing I can find is the message posted in the subject:

Jan 14 11:31:16 jupiter kernel: CIFS VFS: Server sedna has not responded in 120 seconds. Reconnecting...

Dolphin goes into "Disk Sleep" mode, and even using "cd" to change directories from the terminal is not possible.

I am quite certain it is not a network problem, and neither the file server itself, because a raspberry-based music streamer has no problems whatsoever (running on piCore). There are no error messages in the logs of the file server either.

I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to solve this issue, which logs to examine etc.

#2 2019-01-14 21:20:42

bugsmanagement

Re: CIFS VFS: Server has not responded problem

Hello there,

Just wanted to share my experience, I've encounter something similar to this in the past, especially with KDE and its inter-dependencies with each component. Where one app waiting for IO will dead lock everything else. I wonder however, does adding _netdev and soft as mount options in fstab (assuming that's how you mount CIFS) help alleviate the problem?

Regards

#3 2019-01-14 21:29:21

drtebi

Thanks for this idea. I updated my fstab and will try it out now...

#4 2019-01-15 22:58:21

drtebi

Well, it seems that the file browser is getting stuck less often now, but it still does get stuck at times... blocking anything that involves working with files.

I wonder if there is an issue with the old version of Samba I am using on the file server? It does however always work with the piCore installation, so I still suspect something in my Arch Linux setup is not working right, or some kind of hardware issue.

Any other clues?

Board footer