You are not logged in.

#176 2019-01-25 16:26:04

romstor

Re: Should I go Arch?

scharkalvin wrote:

Strange that the install image was able to set up dhcpcd correctly, but not the final installed image.

LiveUSB includes "extra" on purpose so you can connect to the internet and install the system's core from the repos. But when you boot into your actual installed image you want only the drivers and kernel modules pertinent to your actual hardware. For example, why would you have boradcom drivers installed and possibly causing problems and update issues if you don't have any broadcom hardware?

I do sympathize with this hiccup as I was bitten by it the first time I installed Arch on a Toshiba laptop. Had to go back, reboot from live, chroot and install broadcom. Looking backwards I could have inspected lsmod more carefully. I'd have suggested that as may be a sentence for the installation guide, but I don't actually know what the best generic thing to do here (i.e. how to identify hardware that is supported in liveusb, but not in the linux kernel).

#177 2019-01-25 19:44:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Should I go Arch?

scharkalvin wrote:

Actually, I don't recall seeing anything in the installation guide...

The problem is then with your recollection.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer