You are not logged in.

#1176 2019-01-24 02:48:46

eschwartz
Fellow

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

Well, for an OS that does not install a DE by default, all you need to do is install the package that provides the DE itself. In the case of KDE, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE#Installation

But KDE doesn't have a login screen, desktop environments are what comes after you login. If you are instead/also asking how to get a graphical login screen, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_manager

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#1177 2019-01-24 04:06:59

romstor

scharkalvin wrote:

Where the hell did ifconfig go?  It got replaced with ip address and ip link.  WHY?

Because progress... You're in for a treat when you'll learn about systemd...

scharkalvin wrote:

A quick Google search showed where to look

... yeah, why bother reading the installation guide on Arch wiki (you know, the primary documentation for the distro you are trying to install) and clicking on the link about networking setup. It's not like thousands of knowledgeable and experienced people spent their time to ELI5 it for you. Random dudes(ettes) on the intertubes are way, way more correct and trustworthy!

sharkalvin wrote:

I'm in uncharted territory now, doing things with stone knives and bear skins for the first time in over twenty years.  Good for the gray matter though.

The territory is well charted but you need to read the chart in the first place. Happy you are enjoying the process!

#1178 2019-01-24 06:41:43

Awebb

scharkalvin wrote:

I'm in uncharted territory now, doing things with stone knives and bear skins for the first time in over twenty years.  Good for the gray matter though.

He thinks the telekinetic enhancers are stone knifes! :-)

#1179 2019-01-24 18:42:34

scharkalvin

Actually, I don't recall seeing anything in the installation guide about needing to reset the network conf after rebooting.  Strange that the install image was able to set up dhcpcd correctly, but not the final installed image.  OTHO, I might expect to have to jump through some hoops to initially get WIFI up as closed source drivers often are required (Ubuntu has some of these in the install image, but ....).   Google search showed I was not alone with the issue, got LOTS of hits on forum posts here and on Redit, etc.   

Yeah there was quite a bit of talk about systemd when almost everyone decided to switch to it (not Slackware though ...).  Almost started a revolt on Debian as I recall.   I'll have to read the documentation on it.

Is there a quick and dirty way to see if Xorg is working before pulling down the KDE stuff?  I did try startx, don't think I saw any error messages (some warnings though).  Screen stayed dark though...  IIRC, the old X11 install left a large cursor up when you started it without any window manager running.

Last edited by scharkalvin (2019-01-24 18:43:31)

#1180 2019-01-24 19:42:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

This isn't a support thread.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#1181 2019-01-25 16:26:04

romstor

scharkalvin wrote:

Strange that the install image was able to set up dhcpcd correctly, but not the final installed image.

LiveUSB includes "extra" on purpose so you can connect to the internet and install the system's core from the repos. But when you boot into your actual installed image you want only the drivers and kernel modules pertinent to your actual hardware. For example, why would you have boradcom drivers installed and possibly causing problems and update issues if you don't have any broadcom hardware?

I do sympathize with this hiccup as I was bitten by it the first time I installed Arch on a Toshiba laptop. Had to go back, reboot from live, chroot and install broadcom. Looking backwards I could have inspected lsmod more carefully. I'd have suggested that as may be a sentence for the installation guide, but I don't actually know what the best generic thing to do here (i.e. how to identify hardware that is supported in liveusb, but not in the linux kernel).

#1182 2019-01-25 19:44:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

scharkalvin wrote:

Actually, I don't recall seeing anything in the installation guide...

The problem is then with your recollection.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1183 2019-04-10 05:32:03

f3ck4rX

if there's no arch, I would still be using slackware.

The feelings of my heart are like the vacuum, infinite, but invisible to the eyes.

#1184 2019-05-03 09:12:06

s6

I love arch. smile

#1185 2019-05-04 11:35:56

Spinnekop

I have just started using Deepin Desktop Environment on Arch and it is really stunning!!

Umuntu Ngumuntu Ngabantu
---------------------------------------
a person is a person through other people

#1186 2019-06-16 08:36:24

cynicfm
Banned

I have been using Linux for 2 years
Been moeaning about my laptop display being too bright
Yesterday i installed Arch Linux and afterwards with excitement been reading articles on arch wiki
Found out about Intel Backlight and that max in there was 157!!!! So it was set to 157 not surprised that it was so bright!!

Now i set it to 9 and my eyes dont hurt so much!!! Thank you arch wiki, you're cool!!

Have a good day

#1187 2019-07-24 09:51:59

Bojahdok

I have been using linux for 1 or 2 months now
My first install was Ubuntu and I stayed on it for a week, before being attracted to Arch
So I installed it (took me 4-5 hours because I was stuck on GRUB)
And I loved it right away, I really do feel like I'm in control of my machine, something that I've never felt before
I make my computer work, and that's awesome, it runs far faster than on windows, and looks awesome due to the tweakings that are possible with the many desktop environnments we have

If Linux is paradise, Arch would be the angel that guides us to it.

#1188 2019-08-07 00:38:35

SBArch

Funny thing is that I always come back home to plain jane arch. I started on Arch from Gentoo years ago and then stayed on Arch for years, until things like Manjaro, Antergos, others looked interesting. I tried just about every other arch based distro. It became a battle of wanting every one I tried to be just as fast and simple as Arch. None were.

Something always went horribly wrong.

So after a recent episode, now I have on my keychain is a mutliboot usb with various cd's I use, and an Arch USB. Did a clean install, no helpers, no shortcuts, no nothing and this is the OS that has been the most stable.

All without me having to go remove packages and 'customizations' that I do not want or trying to build something that conflicts with something from a Manjaro or other specialized repo and package whose dev's think they know how to do it better than just plain arch. Maybe they do, but not by me.

While I am glad everyone really likes arch enough to base a distro on it, as soon as they take a left turn and decide to change something basic and fundmental, its all over IMHO.

At least in plain arch breakages, of which few are showstoppers,  there is usually some mitigation or solution that you can work out since you know enough about it to handle it and the rest of the user base is a lot smarter than I am and usually solves it long before I do smile

#1189 2019-11-22 15:58:15

Nebula_W2081d
Website

I have run Arch on my main machines (desktop and laptop) for a while now, and was planning to run Arch ARM on my Raspberry Pi, but it has been given defaults and does not have a standard install process. This was very disappointing, as I enjoy setting up everything on an Arch system exactly as I like. Unfortunately, I had to choose Raspian, as it had less defaults set. This only reminded me more like I love running mainline Arch and why I love vanilla systems in general.

Time waits for no one...
Dotfiles | The Nebula Centre Project

#1190 2020-02-04 23:02:02

debtopac

Arch is the best linux distro I have ever experienced! I have been using Linux since 2002, but after using Debian for a long time, I finally arrived about half a year ago! Never again do I want anything else on my desktop. Many, many thanks to all supporters!

Never ignore the archachic.

#1191 2020-02-20 02:25:31

miss_looptux

Arch Linux is the best distro i ever tried. after you get through the complex install process, it's amazing

#1192 2020-03-14 20:02:51

micronetic

I switched from Ubuntu to Manjaro and am now on Arch for like almost 2 months and I must say it is the best experience I ever had with GNU/Linux, thank you guys at the Arch team, you are doing an awesome job! Btw, just updated to the 5.5.9 Kernel without any problems. Have a nice weekend guys

#1193 2020-04-02 12:03:20

RobertClarke64

So I've been using Arch on my main machine for a while now, with gnome installed, maybe around half a year. I've just come to say that I really love using it. Always feels great to use for me, and is always fast and snappy.

Don't really know why I'm writing this, just excited and bored of lockdown really.

smile

#1194 2020-04-02 13:08:41

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Topics merged

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#1195 2020-04-18 18:54:30

seantum

Arch is amazing, because I've installed my Arch deepin in January 2019 and haven't updated it until this months. - The amazing thing is that I could apply all updates without any problems or breakages! Only thing I had to do is remove some AUR-packages, including pamac. (Coming form Manjaro Cinnamon, I had installed it.) In the last months I learned all I need to now about pacman, so I've not installed it again so far.)
I still can't really believe that you can update a rolling release distro after not updating for so long. yikes
https://s1.imagebanana.com/file/200418/pDC4RHlS.png and
https://s1.imagebanana.com/file/200418/Epgs3u3P.png

Mod Edit - Replaced oversized images with links.
CoC - Pasting pictures and code

Last edited by Slithery (2020-04-18 18:57:18)

ArchLinux deepin DE 5.4 LTS kernel

#1196 2020-04-18 19:50:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Seantum, I'd say you got lucky.  It's not too surprising to me that that could work, but I wouldn't expect it to go that smoothly in the future if you neglect udpates that long again.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1197 2020-04-18 20:40:10

seantum

Trilby wrote:

Seantum, I'd say you got lucky.  It's not too surprising to me that that could work, but I wouldn't expect it to go that smoothly in the future if you neglect udpates that long again.

Yeah I was most definitely. I didn't expect it to work.
- It was just a test-install that time, to make my first arch the arch way. I am using Manjaro Cinnamon as my productive system (don't hit me! big_smile wink)

ArchLinux deepin DE 5.4 LTS kernel

#1198 2020-05-02 15:13:26

zpg443

Gotta say, having been a computer user since 1980, Arch is the best computer experience I have had my entire life. Just saying.

#1199 2020-05-03 15:03:30

gorki.b

Hello everybody
i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who is so dedicated to this wonderful operating system !
Many, many thanks for your work and your enthusiasm!
Thanks a lot

#1200 2020-05-03 15:18:34

V1del
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the sentiment, merging with the Arch is best thread.

Board footer