You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-07 09:35:33

jmsardev

gnome-session-binary getting Unrecoverable failure, but working?

Hello there! Arch installation with Gnome and GDM. Whenever I login, checking the journalctl, I get this:

gnome-session-binary[846]: Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop

The system seems to work just fine, but it's the only error I see on the logs and would like to fix it, any idea where can I start? This happens with both Xorg and Wayland, also checked disabling all extensions

Thanks!

#2 2019-02-08 22:21:58

chr0mag

Re: gnome-session-binary getting Unrecoverable failure, but working?

I see this too, but tend to ignore any gnome errors in the journal unless I actually notice something wrong with my system. It's rare that there isn't a gnome-related warning/error in the journal and one could spend significant time tracking down the source and altering log levels just to avoid having them show up. Unless something is actually broken I'd leave it alone.

#3 2020-10-22 14:41:26

EdK

Hello. I had this error as well. Like you, the error appeared whether I used xorg or wayland. Unlike you, occasionally my login screen did not appear upon booting.  For that I had a very simple workaround: alt + -> to switch to tty2. Instead of logging into tty2 I immediately did alt + <- to switch back to tty1 and the login screen appeared. But I always had that "Unrecoverable failure in required component org.gnome.Shell.desktop".

Evidently, I didn't have wayland configured properly. What I eventually learned was that "Most Wayland compositors only work on systems using Kernel mode setting", see 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/wa … ompositors

In particular, I used early KMS as explained in

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ke … s_and_EDID

If this is something that you'll consider, you'll need to modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to load the driver (i915 for me) during initramfs stage of the boot process. In that event, don't miss the note (in the above KMS link) that says "regenerate the initramfs". I eventually discovered that I had to run mkinitcpio -p linux thinking that this would resolve my problem. Well it did resolve my problem for my rolling kernel, but not for my lts. If you use the lts kernel run mkinitcpio -p linux-lts.

In summary, I added i915 to the modules line of mkinitcpio.conf file, then I ran mkinitcpio -p linux and mkinitcpio -p linux-lts to regenerate the initramfs for both of my kernels. Since doing so my login screen appears and the "unrecoverable failure" message disappeared.

#4 2020-12-31 21:38:52

anon5

EdK wrote:

my login screen did not appear upon booting.  For that I had a very simple workaround: alt + -> to switch to tty2. Instead of logging into tty2 I immediately did alt + <- to switch back to tty1 and the login screen appeared.

Yes! Your solution worked for me too! Thank you EdK.

I had the exact same problem and the same error message. It complained that it couldn't find a DRM, but then the amdgpu was always initialised after the gnome-shell. I had to somehow switch the order of initialisation and bring the amdgpu earlier, before gnome-shell. This had been bugging me for a couple of weeks or so. The login screen never appeared until I also switched to tty2 and back.

I have an AMD graphics card instead of Intel one. So all I did was add amdgpu to MODULES=(...) in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and that was what fixed the problem!
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ke … _KMS_start

For generating the mkinitcpio for all your kernels, you can just run the capital -P instead of the lower-case -p:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mk … activation

# mkinitcpio -P

Last edited by anon5 (2020-12-31 21:39:36)

#5 2020-12-31 23:49:36

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the input, but as the OP has not been here for almost a year, I am going to close this now.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer