You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-13 18:12:44

whjones2

1 Feb Arch iso fails on initial mirror sync and update

Aloha everyone,

I was happily running Arch, but for some reason, decided to put PureOS on my Intel NUC.  Unfortunately, after the apparently successful install, all I got on the reboot was a blinking cursor.  As I had my Arch (the 1 Feb 2019 iso)  USB install thumb drive handy, I decided to re-install Arch.  My process is as follows: ping archlinux.org (I have ethernet on my NUC) to verify internet connectivity, do an initial sync of the mirrors (pacman -Sy), install reflector and get the best mirrors for me (reflector -l 100 -f 50 --sort rate --verbose --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist), resync the mirrors (pacman -Syy), then sync the mirrors and do an update of the install files (pacman -Syyu).  That last step fails, as indicated in the included screenshot. 

I had to use my MacBook Pro to create a Solus install thumb drive to get back to Linux.  Once there, I created an Arch VM in Virtualbox, and have experienced the same behavior.  I saw a suggestion using pacman -Scc to clear the cache, but it appears the install could not extract some files from the linux kernel package.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  If so, how can this error be mitigated? 

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Arch-install-failure-13-Feb-2019.png

Arch2-D2
Arch Linux (Rolling) // GNOME DE
MSI MEG X570 Unify
Ryzen 7 5700X // Radeon RX 6600 // 32GB RAM

#2 2019-02-13 18:58:43

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: 1 Feb Arch iso fails on initial mirror sync and update

The mirror stuff I can understand, but there's absolutely no need to update the live system. Just skip that step and just continue with the installation guide.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2019-02-13 19:12:03

Slithery
Administrator

whjones2 wrote:

...resync the mirrors (pacman -Syy), then sync the mirrors and do an update of the install files (pacman -Syyu)...

All unnecessary. Why are you updating the live installation?

The problem is that the filesystem of the installation media runs as a tmpfs limited to half the size of your RAM, it's running out of space when you try to update it...
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=205967

As Wormzy said just run the installation without updating the live environment.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2019-02-13 19:18:46

whjones2

Aloha WorMzy and Slithery,

Thanks for your replies.  I never actually thought about that, but it makes sense.  I guess I thought it would download the latest version, then update the files on the installer.  I'll give it a shot and let y'all know how it turns out.

Arch2-D2
Arch Linux (Rolling) // GNOME DE
MSI MEG X570 Unify
Ryzen 7 5700X // Radeon RX 6600 // 32GB RAM

#5 2019-02-13 19:47:47

Slithery
Administrator

whjones2 wrote:

I guess I thought it would download the latest version, then update the files on the installer.

That's exactly what would happen if you had enough RAM, but again why?

The software that's running on the installation media has absolutely no bearing on what gets installed to the new system via pacstrap.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#6 2019-02-13 20:10:11

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

Follow the Installation Guide.

Board footer