You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 12:03:46

bumblebee

Wifi adapter not showing after using it as hotspot.

I was using wifi pumpkin and other similar tools to use it as an access point. Installed some tools like dnsmasq, hostapd. Unfortunately, on next boot, no wifi network is shown. The wifi interface wlp2s0 seems to be down. I messed up some configuration file it seems.

However the adapter can be used by aircrack-ng in monitor mode, and changing the adapter name to something else like "wlan0" makes wifi works fine.

output of $ ip link show wlp2s0    :
wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000

When I change the adapter name using $ip link set wlp2s0 name wlan0 , Everything seems fine. Which configuration file should I change to get it working?

#2 2019-02-27 07:17:48

bumblebee

Re: Wifi adapter not showing after using it as hotspot.

Got the issue solved it!!!
There is a configuration file issue
open :
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

There was a line:
unmanaged-devices = interface-name:wlp2s0

removed it, now everything works fine.

#3 2019-02-27 07:28:35

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Wifi adapter not showing after using it as hotspot.

You have provided few information about the state of your network management services. Forcing NetworkManager to override network configuration of other services might not be a long lasting solution if one of the other services attempt to regain control over the WiFi interface.
Most consumer WiFi cards, while having an AP mode, will not be capable of operating in both, AP and client mode simultaneously.
So if you don't want to use your WiFi card as AP any longer, but in client mode, you should make sure that services like hostapd and probably also dnsmasq are disabled.

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

Board footer